This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
Retailers can combine new solution with guest analytics to directly market to shoppers in the aisle
PETALING JAYA – DEC. 17, 2012 – The exploding popularity of Wi-Fi-enabled tablets and smartphones has empowered today’s shoppers with the ability to shop online while in a retail store. Retailers have long used wireless local area networks (WLAN) for their internal use, but research by Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) shows 56 percent of retailers are currently planning to offer guest access to shoppers in the next five years as one of the ways to improve the customer experience. Retailers want to provide simple and secure connections to their shoppers, engaging them with product reviews and in-store coupons, while gaining valuable insight and providing a better shopping experience.
Motorola’s new WiNG 5 Secure Access is a cloud-based solution that addresses two provisioning challenges for retailers and enterprises today: secured guest access and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). Motorola’s Secure Access combines zero-touch on-boarding of the widest range of consumer smartphones with flexible authentication methods, including Facebook, Google and LinkedIn, while securing the connections with a Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA2) encryption, which ensures shoppers’ connections and transactions are secure. Motorola’s award-winning WiNG 5-distributed WLAN architecture, combined with Secure Access and Motorola’s Wi-Fi analytics solution, provides retailers insight into shoppers’ browsing behaviour and online activity.
With 77 percent of retailers planning to connect shoppers’ online activities with what they do in the store, the shoppers’ ability to quickly and easily utilize the guest network becomes crucial. To address this need, Motorola is also unveiling the new AP 6522, adding to its broad portfolio of access points to help retailers handle the increasing number of Wi-Fi devices and bandwidth-heavy applications that will be connecting to the wireless network as a result of this new technology. Motorola’s wide range of retail solutions provide services tailored to support businesses’ needs by planning, deploying and managing retailers’ WLAN networks with guest access capabilities and analytics reporting. As part of Motorola’s Future Vision of Retail, these end-to-end solutions help brick-and-mortar retailers grow their in-store sales, stay competitive with online alternatives and reduce the amount of customers who are “showrooming.”
- Motorola’s Secure Access solution makes in-store customer hotspot registration a simple one-time process, and the captive portal then automatically authorizes that user’s device for future visits to any store within the chain.
- The secure WPA2/AES encryption enables shoppers to keep their browsing private, securely access cloud-based shopping lists, make mobile payments from their smartphones and perform a wide variety of WLAN functions such as download mobile coupons, get self help and watch product videos directly from their Wi-Fi connection.
- Motorola’s analytics solution provides real-time information across all store locations about a shopper’s behaviour, including automated check-in, types of Wi-Fi-connected devices being used, frequency of visits and time spent in the store.
- Analytics also give retailers access to the history of active users and their activity across stores, including a summary of websites and search terms most commonly used, products browsed and online product purchases. This level of analytics empowers retailers to turn shoppers into buyers by gaining insight into their needs, habits, tendencies and more.
- Retailers can implement secure mobile point-of-sale and self-checkout with 802.1x device authentication and use a WiNG 5 ICSA-certified firewall along with Motorola’s AirDefense for Payment Card Industry and Data Security Standard compliance.
- The AP 6522 is a multipurpose access point designed to lower the cost of deploying and operating a secure, reliable 802.11n WLAN. With its WiNG 5 intelligence, this access point offers high throughput along with direct forwarding, security, QoS services and site survivability.
Ong Beng Hui, Senior Manager, Enterprise Strategic Accounts, Motorola Solutions Malaysia
“Motorola Solutions can now offer an ideal cloud-based secure guest access solution to Malaysian retailers considering in-store Wi-Fi and BYOD alternatives for shoppers and employees. By combining a shopper’s social networking profile with our Wi-Fi analytics solution, retailers can assess a shopper’s activities and behavioral patterns and turn meaningful information into engagement opportunities”.
Website: Motorola Wireless LAN Solutions
Website: Motorola Retail Solutions
Website: Motorola Global Solutions and Services
Video: The Role of Wireless Networks in the Future of Retail
White Paper: 6 Strategies to Ensure Your Wireless Network Delivers Enhanced Experiences
Motorola Solutions Malaysia
Tel.: +603 7809 0306
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2012 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.