Stadstoezicht developed an open platform supporting different hardware and which could also be adapted without incurring huge costs. The software was written by Globe Software. The new system is called iTHOR: Toezicht Handhaving Opsporing & Registratie in Dutch which means 'Supervision, Enforcement, Detection & Registration.' iTHOR has provided an easy and smart enforcement solution.
Zebra MZ 320 mobile printers with WiFi® were chosen due to their print speed and accuracy. Now 600 Rotterdam community police officers can print directly from their iPod touch® or iPhone®. iTHOR is made for iOS and therefore compatible for iPhone, iPad® and iPod touch devices. It can also be adapted for Android™, BlackBerry® and Windows Mobile®. iTHOR offers a wide range of user applications. A central server ensures that relevant applications appear on users' hand-held terminal screens depending on their responsibilities.
In Rotterdam this solution is used for:
- Checking parking payments
- Issuing fines for illegal parking and minor traffic offences
- Issuing fines for criminal offences
- Monitoring environmental zones
- Monitoring illegal use of bus lanes
- Filing reports regarding public areas relating to waste disposal, discarded shopping trolleys, pot holes in roads, broken street lights and signs
- Printing directions to help lost pedestrians and tourists
For an illegally parked car, the officer prints out a parking fine which is then immediately registered onto the central server. This fine is then automatically transmitted to the tax and customs administration for collection. Any incorrect data will also be highlighted by the system. Tickets can only be printed and completed once all necessary details have been input. This reduces delays when fines are sent for processing. An officer's task is then completed as he no longer has any administrative work left to do back at the office.