St. John's Hospital recognised the limitations of embossed ID wristbands. To further advance system-wide patient care, a collaborative team from St. John's admissions, purchasing, nursing, medical records, and HIS departments identified deficiencies in their current patient identification, breaking these down into two categories—equipment and the actual wristbands.
- Each registration point required a separate set of equipment and supplies
- The equipment supported limited flexibility and single functionality
- The embosser/imprinter took up valuable counter/work space
- The machine, consumables and service plans were all costly
- Imaged information was limited and often unclear, resulting in patient ID errors/mistakes
- The wristband construction was a cumbersome, multistep process
- Chart labels required separate printing from the wristband