Retransfer printers print onto a flexible transparent film that is then thermally bonded to the card, unlike traditional dye-sublimation card printers, which use a printhead that prints through a ribbon directly onto the card.
In general, benefits of retransfer printing include:
- Higher image quality and print resolution
- The ability to print on uneven card surfaces such as smart cards
- True edge-to-edge printing (via over the edge printing)
- Traditional card printers must leave a white border because printing up to the edge would damage the printhead
- The ability to print on non-PVC cards. Dye sublimation requires a porous surface available only with PVC cards
- More durable and abrasion-resistant cards
- Some fraud protection, since the film is inherently tamper-evident
Zebra’s innovative technology
Based on Zebra’s innovative technology the ZXP Series 8 printer achieves record print speed while maintaining top image quality.
- Inspired by Zebra’s photo-printer technology, the ZXP Series 8 printer uses image-processing algorithms to eliminate image errors normally resulting from high printing speeds – enabling photo-quality images and print resolution
- The patent-pending simultaneous two-sided image-transfer process applies the film to both sides of the card in a single pass, unlike other retransfer printers which flip the card over for a second pass
- The efficient landscape printing mode further increases print speed by printing from the top, shorter side of the card towards the bottom side