US Air Force
RTLS Provides Visibility and Process Improvements
Leaders in the Air Force today confront unprecedented operational challenges, increasing fiscal responsibility for capital equipment and expendables, and elevated public expectations based on continued exceptional performance. Working side by side with the Air Force, CSC has leveraged years of experience supporting base operations to develop an integrated asset visibility solution to help leaders meet these challenges.
CSC engaged in a pilot in 2005 to examine portal based location and full locate capabilities for multiple mission applications at Robins AFB. Using WhereNet Corporation's ISO/IEC 24730 RTLS (Real Time Locating Systems), CSC has developed implementation practices to support a wide variety of asset management challenges. CSC has demonstrated the benefits of RTLS for the following mission areas:
- Automatic Data Processing Equipment: Tagging and tracking ADPE has provided greater visibility to the Computer Store, reducing inventory times and improving the quality of support.
- Work In Process: CSC installed RFID equipment and demonstrated capabilities in the Maintenance shops. Deployed in the Gyro Repair Facility, WhereNet helps maintainers and maintenance managers track components through the repair process, reducing repair time. Metrics gathered from the WhereNet system support lean process improvements and return equipment to the warfighter faster. Integration of RFID within Air Force's Automated Material Tracking System (AMTS) is currently in production use.
- Tools and Test Equipment: Tagging and tracking tools and test equipment reduces search time, helps maintain accountability in increases productivity for maintenance personnel. Ground Support Equipment Tracking: Using WhereNet's long read range and ability to track equipment both indoors and out, CSC has enabled GSE users and maintainers to have a real time visibility of equipment across the base.
Tools and Test Equipment: Tagging and tracking tools and test
equipment reduces search time, helps maintain accountability in
increases productivity for maintenance personnel.
Once completely deployed, the Robins AFB RTLS infrastructure will support about three square miles of coverage and track up to ten thousand assets. Success at Robins AFB has lead to follow on project to deploy RTLS in limited scope pilots at additional AFMC Depots. CSC's Automated Identification Technology Support Services contract supports implementation of RFID Logistics Solutions at multiple US Air Force Bases throughout the US. CSC has proven expertise for site surveys, system designs, acquisition of RFID hardware and software, test and installation, user training and technical support. These capabilities provide a single contract vehicle to acquire and integrate RTLS with base operations and automated systems.
Why CSC Chose WhereNet
CSC did extensive market research, has installed and operated several competing technologies, and has selected WhereNet as the primary RTLS technology for three key reasons:
- Proven Success: operating 24/7/30 as a mission critical infrastructure for many of the worlds largest companies.
- Technical Capability: The WhereNet system can be deployed to address many mission areas from tracking assets on a mile long flight line to managing computers in an office environment.
- Open Standards: WhereNet equipment is based on ANSI 371 and ISO 24730 protocols, with tag technology available from a third party with no royalty or license fees.
Asset Visibility & Personnel Tracking
Know where your assets are personnel are at all times, in real time – even in challenging environments.
WhereLAN sensors efficiently and accurately collect information from WhereTags and WhereCall buttons to provide you with real time visibility of your important assets in indoor, outdoor and heavy industrial environments.
Zebra's WhereTag products offer active RFID capabilities for indoor and outdoor applications.
Essential to any RTLS solution, the WherePort proximity communication exciter lets you know when your assets are on the move. Available in several models to meet indoor and outdoor applications.
Use the WhereWand tag configuration tool to configure your WhereTag asset tags, WherePort exciters and WhereLAN location sensors with ease.