Motorola Solutions Brings Enhanced Broadband Capabilities to Dublin City University
This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
Motorola will implement its next-generation WiNG 5 WLAN solution to improve the network experience for over 11,000 staff and students
BASINGSTOKE, UK – Feb. 21, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) , formerly Motorola, Inc., the leading provider of wireless communications solutions, today announced that it is supplying Dublin City University with a robust wireless infrastructure across the 85 acre campus which will provide over 11,000 students and staff with an enhanced broadband experience.
· Dublin City University was looking to upgrade its existing wireless network to manage the growing student population at the university and to extend wireless capabilities to the libraries and canteens. The aim was to avoid congestion in the popular working areas.
· In addition, the university wanted a wireless solution that could support its education roaming network facility (EDU-ROAM). The system allows staff, students and researchers from partnering institutions to obtain internet connectivity across campus and while visiting other institutions by simply opening their laptop.
· The university plans to upgrade to Motorola´s next generation architecture WiNG 5 WLAN upon release in a few months. The next-generation architecture for its portfolio of 802.11n WLAN access points and controllers. The new WiNG 5 WLAN will provide staff and students with an enhanced application performance experience and greater bandwidth. It manages capacity and resilience of 802.11n networks through intelligent traffic forwarding to avoid bottlenecks.
· In addition, the university is implementing 165 of Motorola’s AP 650 multi-purpose Access Point s which optimise network availability, provide constant wireless security, and enable IT administrators to remotely troubleshoot network performance issues from any location.
· Motorola’s RFS 7000 RF switches deliver carrier-grade wireless voice and data for between 8,000-96,000 users.
· Motorola partner Dimension Network Systems is providing the university with configuration and integration services, and will also deliver system training to IT personnel.
· The network will go live during February 2011.
James Healy, Networks Manager, Dublin City University
“We’re excited to be giving our staff and students enhanced network capabilities so they have quick and easy access to applications and network resources, and the ability to connect to the network from a greater number of locations within the campus. The capacity balancing functionality of the Motorola WiNG 5 WLAN solution was a big pull for us and gives our IT department more agility and peace of mind. We also liked the fact that our network will not experience downtime as the legacy Access Points can be controlled by the Motorola RFS 7000 RF which saves staff and students from getting caught up in any potential disruption.”
Marco Landi, Vice
President Channel Business, Motorola Solutions, EMEA
“Motorola Solutions is proud to be helping Dublin City University deliver an improved network experience to its continuously growing number of staff and students. The reliability and robustness of our solutions equate to considerable time-savings and efficiencies for IT personnel. We look forward to continue working with the university as it expands.”
Website: WiNG 5 WLAN
Video: WiNG 5 WLAN overview video
Brochure: Less required. More delivered.
Solution Overview: Growing your business to the nth power
Portal: The Pulse: Wireless Networking
About Dublin City University
Dublin City University (DCU) is Ireland’s youngest university, situated on an 85-acre campus three miles north of the River Liffey in the city of Dublin, Ireland. The university has nearly 11,500 students, including 2,000 international students from 115 countries, along with over 35,000 alumni.
The University has developed its own research specialism’s, creating a number of national centres of excellence that collaborate with other universities around the globe. These include academic disciplines such as biotechnology, electronic engineering, physics and chemistry. The University offers over 60 undergraduate programmes and 70 postgraduate programmes, as well as the opportunity to carry out postgraduate study through research. It was crowned “ Sunday Times University of the Year 2010.”
About Dimension Network Solutions
Dimension Network Systems provides IT Infrastructure services to SME and Enterprise customers. We are a value-added integrator of multi-vendor networking systems. Our technical expertise, professionalism and vendor partnerships provide the most-inclusive, single point-of-contact for IT infrastructure solutions. Our services range from in-depth assessment of your current LAN / WAN and subsequent recommendations that may offer greater efficiency, to wireless site surveys both indoor and outdoor, complete LAN/WAN/Wireless network design, implementation and installation, through to the support of installed systems.