This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
Comprehensive WLAN services are now available through a subscription-based model
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. - May 8, 2012 - Enterprises faced with the challenge of deploying, protecting and managing business-critical wireless local area networks (WLAN) can look to Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) for the latest innovation in holistic WLAN services.
The new Motorola WLAN Cloud Services extend the rich feature set of the premise-based Motorola systems to WLAN operators looking for a complete cloud offering with a WLAN Planner for RF coverage planning, the award winning WiNG 5 solution for controller and management functionality, and AirDefense for wireless security and network assurance.
The new solution is available as a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and is targeted at organizations that need to improve the full life-cycle management of their WLAN, but have not found a solution with the mix of functionality at a cost point that matches their requirements.
Retail, hospitality, healthcare and other enterprise owners who are uncertain of their future needs can easily activate the WLAN Cloud Services solution with no appliance or controller setup, zero-touch access point deployment, and no ongoing maintenance. The solution can be deployed in any WLAN environment and can easily monitor thousands of access points distributed across any number of physical sites.
The subscription-based SaaS model moves upfront capital expenses to operational expenses with a monthly charge directly tied to the level of services selected and the size of the network. WLAN deployments using the WLAN Cloud Services are designed to be more efficient, secure, and easier to manage because of the WiNG 5’s sophisticated approach to managing traffic generated by video, voice and other applications.
In addition, Motorola WLAN Cloud Services support value-added services such as WLAN Planning and Proximity Awareness & Analytics, which enables the use of WLAN infrastructure as a tool for presence detection of and dynamic communication with Wi-Fi enabled devices in WLAN environments.
- The core functions supported by Motorola WLAN Cloud Services encompasses WLAN security and compliance, including rogue identification and threat mitigation; network assurance, which includes troubleshooting, proactive testing and forensic analysis; and WLAN management, which includes support for centralized management and policy configuration of Motorola WiNG 5 infrastructure.
- Motorola WLAN Cloud Services are seamlessly integrated with Motorola’s WiNG 5 architecture and allows centralized management of the WLAN with a single cloud-based controller. This makes controlling the network easier and reduces the hardware operating expenses needed to support large networks.
- For enterprises grappling with compliance to regulatory requirements such as PCI-DSS, Sarbanes-Oxley or HIPAA, Motorola WLAN Cloud Services also includes a strong forensics capability, combining review and analysis of past events with an extensive compliance reporting capability, helping to simplify a task that has become increasingly critical to all enterprises using WLAN networks.
- The WLAN Cloud Services solution gathers more than 325 statistics relevant to WLAN networking and performance per minute from each device in the network, making the ability to identify and mitigate threats the best in the industry.
- Motorola Managed Services can be used to complement customer needs and provide greater operational flexibility giving customers additional options for tailoring the IT processes to their business needs.
Todd Nightingale, general manager, Air Defense, Motorola Solutions
“With a growing number of organizations looking to transform their operations with cloud-based solutions, Motorola Solutions is delivering state-of-the-art WLAN services built on a utility model that makes it easier for customers to deploy and scale as their needs change. Our industry-recognized strength in deploying, securing, and operating mission-critical networks is now available to customers anywhere.”
Bob Blazek, president and CEO, Altura Communication Solutions
“Motorola WLAN Cloud Services offer a comprehensive WLAN life-cycle management solution that simultaneously expands our market opportunities and the range of customer problems that we can address. With a new set of highly scalable, enterprise-class capabilities , WLAN Cloud Services will allow us to help customers tackle WLAN performance problems that were previously left unaddressed due to cost or functionality considerations. This offering gives new reasons to engage and will allow us to forge closer relationships with customers as they search for ways to maximize the return on their WLAN investments.”
Website: WLAN Cloud Services
Website: Air Defense Solutions
Website: Altura Communication Solutions
Product Spec Sheet: WLAN Cloud Services
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2012 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.