Issue / Question
How to connect a text file to a label with ZerbaDesigner Pro?
How to connect a .csv file to a label with ZerbaDesigner Pro?
Resolution / Answer
To use a (.csv) or a (.txt) file as a data source for the variable fields on a label created with ZebraDesigner Pro V2, all fields in the file must be included between quotation marks and divided by a comma. Since symbols like comma or semicolon have the function to separate the fields or the rows, the data must be clean from these symbols.
It also helps if the first row contains the column names (also included between quotation marks and divided by a comma). You can use other symbols, but you will have to change them accordingly in the Set the delimiter and the text qualifier step.
The following is an example:
- Open ZebraDesigner Pro and create the fixed fields (such as id, Name, Surname, etc.).
- Click Database and select the CSV file to connect the CSV file to the label.
- This is the default setting. Click Next.
- Under Data type, select the Delimited option and check the First row contains field names.
- Set the Delimiter as a comma and Text Qualifier as a quotation mark. Click Next.
- Set each Field length to the correct maximum length.
- Click Next to confirm the summary of the fields, then click Finish to complete the wizard.
IMPORTANT! At the end of this process, in the same folder where the CSV file is located, a CSH file will be generated.
Since this file contains the configuration, in any case in which you may encounter any issue and you need to restart the process from the beginning, this CSH file must be deleted. Otherwise, the software will keep the old configuration and this process will not work.
- The fields are listed accordingly. Select the required fields.
||NOTE You can change these options by selecting the Database button if needed.
- By selecting the first option, the software will automatically generate a text field corresponding to each field in the CSV file.
- Selecting the second option will not generate any field, but you will have to do it manually.
- Drag the fields into position as needed. The yellow tag shows the name of the field to easily identify them. If you cannot see the yellow tags, enable this option in the View Menu > Object Properties > Enable Object Name.