Issue / Question
How to configure RFD8500 to transmit RFID tag data in HID mode?
How to set the RFD8500 as Human Interface Device?
Resolution / Answer
There are two main modes of operation over Bluetooth on RFD8500:
- Default: SPP (Serial Port Profile) and Apple iAP2/MFi.
- Keyboard Human Interface Device (HID) mode (a configuration change is needed to activate HID mode).
HID keyboard profile features:
- ADF rules can be applied to barcode and RFID data in HID mode.
- RFID data is supported over HID with Gen2 session 2 only.
- The only way to start a read in HID mode is to pull the trigger.
- Barcode and RFID cannot be used at the same time.
- You can only read the basic RFID barcode data and not be able to write to RFID tags or perform additional configuration.
- It is not possible to read TID/USER/RESERVED banks in HID mode.
Set the RFD8500 to HID mode
- Connect the USB cable from RFD8500 to the PC.
- On PC, open the 123Scan Utility for Windows.
- Click Create new configuration file > “My scanner is connected via USB cable”.
- If the device is not recognized by 123Scan Utility, try to reset it to factory default.
- Click the blue-button within the RFD8500-COMMON MODELS box area.
- On the left-side menu, click 5. General.
- Under the Bluetooth section, change the Bluetooth Profile Mode to HID Keyboard Emulation Profile.
NOTE If you are setting up for the first time, ensure to click on the preceding 4. RFID section, scroll down to Regulatory Configuration section and set the Country of Operation to your respective country you will use the device in.
- Click the Done button.
- Click the Load to scanner.
- In the scanner list, click the button that represents your RFD8500 device (typically denoted by serial #).
- Wait for the upload to complete then exit out of the 123Scan Utility app and disconnect the USB cable from RFD8500.
- Reset (reboot) the RFD8500. Hold the Mode / Function and Bluetooth buttons simultaneously for three seconds, then release them to initiate the reset process.
To connect to a mobile device or PC in HID mode (for example, on Windows 10).
- Search and click Add Bluetooth or other device. Add your Bluetooth device.
- Turn the RFD8500 on and ensure Bluetooth is enabled. If not, press the Bluetooth button on the RFD8500 for two seconds to make it discoverable. When discoverable, the Bluetooth LED slowly flashes blue.
||NOTE The RFD8500 will automatically be in Bluetooth discoverable mode for 40 seconds after it is turned on. You will want to quickly pair the device during this time frame. You can tell the device is in Bluetooth discoverable mode if the Bluetooth button (left side near bottom) is blinking blue. If the LED on the Bluetooth button is off, press and hold it for 2 seconds to put it back into Bluetooth discoverable mode.
- On your Windows 10 PC, select RFD8500<serial number> from the list of Bluetooth devices in the area.
NOTE In HID mode, the icon before the RFD8500<serial number> must be a keyboard icon. If not then the RFD8500 is set up for SPP or Mfi mode.
- Press the RFD8500 trigger to pair when the Bluetooth LED starts flashing fast. In Windows 10, the status should be Connected.
- At this point, you should be able to press and hold the hardware trigger on RFD8500 to begin reading RFID tags into whatever area has focused on your mobile device or PC. Additionally, you can switch between RFID and barcode reading by pressing and holding the “mode” button for 2 seconds.
- If the mode button has a solid green LED, it is in Barcode mode.
- If the mode button has no LED, it is in RFID mode.
- sample tag read into a Notepad.
- sample tag read into a Notepad.