Issue / Question
How to configure VC80x or VC8300 for RS-232 serial scanner?
VC80x Android, VC8300, RS-232 scanner such as the LS3408, DS3508, DS3608, and LI3608
Resolution / Answer
A. To connect an RS-232 scanner:
- On the bottom of the VC80x, remove the connector cover from either the COM1 or COM2 port.
- Connect the scanner cable RS-232 connector to either the COM1 or COM2 port and the scanner.
- Tighten the RS-232 connect thumb screws.
B. Configure VC80x or VC8300 for RS-232 scanner:
- Open VC Settings.
On the home screen, swipe up from the bottom of the home screen and touch VC Settings.
- Enable COM port power. Touch +5V output on Serial Port 1 if the RS-232 scanner is connected to the COM1 port or +5V output on Serial Port 2 if the scanner is connected to the COM2 port.
The scanner powers up and beeps.
RS-232 scanner is connected to COM1.
- Touch Back.
- Open DataWedge.
- Select a profile. Example Profile0.
- Scroll down to Serial port input from Serial port 1 or Serial port input from Serial port 2.
- Touch Enabled. A check appears in the checkbox to the right.
Since the RS-232
scanner is connected to COM1
, will enable Serial port input from Serial port 1
||IMPORTANT! By default, serial settings are set for all Zebra scanners. Other non-Zebra scanners may need configuration. Refer to the scanner user guide for more information.
- If needed, touch Serial port configuration to configure Baud rate, Data bits, Parity, Stop bits, and Flow Control.
DataWedge UI configuration is supported by the scanners (not only built-in scanner) connected in SSI mode using SSI over USB CDC or BT SSI. However, it is not available if connected to an external scanner using a serial cable.
The scanner decoder parameter cannot be set within the DataWedge UI if it is connected to an external input device using a serial cable connection.
Therefore, you will need to set the scanner parameter on the scanner itself via PRG barcode or scan config using 123scan.
DataWedge UI ADF rule formatting settings might not work in case there is a criteria based on the barcode type.
All under section barcode input does not apply. An example, to enable symbologies, picklist mode, code ID.