Issue / Question
How to connect a Serial (RS232) wired scanner to a VC80 Windows 7 or 10?
VC80 Windows Embedded Standard 7
VC80 Windows 7 Professional
VC80 Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
Resolution / Answer
The VC80 supports the following types of barcode scanners:
• Tethered scanner connected to COM1 or COM2
• Tethered scanner connected to a USB host port
• Wireless scanner connected via Bluetooth
For this article, will focus on the RS232 serial scanner connected to COM1 or COM2.
Serial Scanners for VC80 Windows
To configure serial scanners:
1. Open the VC Control Panel and select Power.
2. Enable the power to the port. (Example for COM1, Enable +5V (1A) output for external RS232 Port 1)
3. Select TekWedge and select Enable TekWedge to support serial scanners.
4. Select [Config Ports].
5. Select the new COM port (example COM1) and select Enable Port.
6. Select OK.
7. Close VC Control Panel.
8. For scan test, you can use Notepad