Issue / Question
How do I use StageNow to enroll my device into a SOTI MobiControl Server using a JSON file instead of an INI file?
Zebra Android Devices running Android Oreo and above
Resolution / Answer
Before you begin this procedure, ensure that:
- You have StageNow 2.10 and above installed on your PC
- Your device MX version is MX 8.0 and above
- Your device is connected wirelessly to the network and the StageNow server
- Your device has the latest OS version installed (Android Oreo and above, GMS or AOSP)
- You are enrolled as the Device Owner (DO)
- Your device is in the Factory Default State, with no third-party apps installed on your device
- LifeGuard patch 7 or greater is installed
- The Device Rule for this device exists in SOTI
||NOTE When choosing the Android Enterprise account type in the Device Rule, we recommend that you select the Skip Google Account Addition During Enrollment on Managed Android Devices checkbox.
To enroll your device into a SOTI MobiControl Server via StageNow — with a JSON file, follow the steps below:
- On your PC, navigate to the SOTI MobiControl Device Agent Downloads page.
- Download the Agent MobiControl APK file to your PC (file name example: GoogleMobiControl1420_1069.apk).
- Follow the steps below to create the JSON file necessary for this procedure.
- Open the StageNow Workstation Tool, click Administrator Login on the top-right corner, and enter the administrator password to log in as an administrator.
- Click Create New Profile, and select the device MX version from the drop-down menu.
||IMPORTANT! Your device MX version must be MX 8.0 or greater.
- Click the Xpert Mode Wizard and click Create.
- Enter a name for the profile and click Start. The ADD/EDIT window appears.
- Add the MDM Enrollment settings to your profile:
- Click the WIZARD tab (on the left section of the ADD/EDIT window).
- In the WIZARD tab, click MDM Enrollment to add this setting to the Config tab.
|NOTE You can also add StageNow Network if you prefer to set up Wi-Fi settings and include this in your staging barcodes.
- Click Add when done.
- In the MDM Enrollment configuration, make the following changes:
- When prompted Which MDM Agent would you like to enroll for?, select SOTI.
- When prompted Select the group of devices you like to enroll for?, select Android N and above.
- When prompted Would you like to Download Configuration file?, select No.
- When prompted Is your SOTI App (.APK file) already present on the device?, select No, I want to Download the file to my device.
- Make the following changes in the Download App configuration:
- Target Path and File Name on Device > Enter /sdcard/<APK_filename> (e.g. /sdcard/GoogleMobiControl1420_1069.apk)
- Source File Location > Click the button. The Staging Server URI Selector window opens.
- Select a File > Click the button. Locate the Agent MobiControl APK file you downloaded in Step 2, and click Open.
- Click OK.
- Click Continue.
- No changes are required for the Install App configuration. Click Continue.
- In the Enroll Device Owner configuration, make the following changes:
- JSON File > Click the button. Locate the JSON file you created in Step 3, and click Open.
- Click Continue.
- No changes are required for the Launch SOTI App configuration. Click Continue.
- On the Staging Profile Review page, click Expand to review your configurations. If necessary, you can amend your configurations by clicking the respective View buttons.
- Click Complete Profiles.
- Click the StageNow checkbox for PDF417 (for 2D scanners) or Linear (for 1D scanners) to specify the type of barcode for deployment, or click Select All to select all barcode types.
- Click Test to generate a PDF of the test staging barcode(s). A PDF of the test staging barcode(s) will be generated.
||NOTE Embedded in the top right corner of the generated PDF is a barcode that bypasses the GMS Setup Wizard. Scan this barcode at the Android Welcome Screen to bypass the GMS Android Setup Wizard.
- Launch the StageNow Client on your device and scan the barcode(s) to start the enrollment process.
- If the enrollment process is successful, click Publish to publish the material for operator use.
- Enter the staging instructions for the operator and click Publish Now.
- Click the Windows Start button. Type Notepad and click on the search result.
- Copy the text lines below into the Notepad text file.
- Replace the ENTER_ENROLLMENT_ID_HERE text with the enrollment ID that is generated when you create a device rule in SOTI. Ensure that the enrollment ID is within the quotation marks (" ").
- Click File > Save As. Enter your desired file name and append .json to the file name.
- Click Save.