Instructions to automatically start remote desktop on start-up
Article ID: 24799324
Issue / Question
How to automatically start up remote desktop?
The steps below will show how to save an RDP (Remote Desktop) connection and then automatically initiate this connection upon start-up of Windows.
NOTE: There is no supported way to save credentials. Credentials will need to be provided every time you establish a connection. This is a security limitation imposed by Microsoft.
VC70 (Win CE 7)
Resolution / Answer
- Navigate to the "Application" directory on device (double click "My Device" on desktop)
- If it does not exist, create a folder within "Application" named "StartUp"
- Files in this directory will automatically be run after booting of OS.
- Open Remote Desktop
- Click "Options" button
- Enter name of remote computer in "Computer" field
- You may want to verify correct computer name (i.e. test the connection) before next step of saving RDP file
- Click "Save As..." button
- Navigate to "\Application\StartUp" folder
- Save your RDP file in this directory
- Reboot device
- Post-bootup, your RDP file should automatically run
- NOTE: There is no supported way to save RDP credentials. Credentials will need to be provided every time you establish a connection. This is a security limitation imposed by Microsoft.
+ Applicable Products
- VC70 Vehicle-mounted Computer