Issue / Question
How to perform OS update - multiple OS update package - using SOTI MobiControl's mxconfig script command?
Device is enrolled in DO mode, how to update the OS using XML file and mxconfig?
OS update using upload list file .UPL
Zebra Android 8.x and later
Resolution / Answer
StageNow - Power Manager
The Power Manager (PowerMgr) allows an app to perform certain OS and power-related actions on the device. These include rebooting or performing an OS update, resetting the device to a factory-fresh state, or putting the device into Sleep mode.
SOTI MobiControl - mxconfig
Submits XML configuration instructions to the MX layer of the device.
Part 1: StageNow Tool
Create an .XML file using StageNow. In this example, create a profile for Zebra Android Oreo SD660 based on this product family (TC52, TC57, TC72, TC77, or PS20).
||NOTE StageNow v4.0 or greater must be installed in your PC.
- Launch StageNow, click Create new Profile.
- From the Select a Wizard window, select MX version 8.1 or later
- Select Xpert Mode then click Create.
- Enter a profile name. For example: Oreo_OS_Upgrade then click Start.
- Under the SETTINGS tab, select PowerMgr then click +.
- The CONFIG tab should list PowerMgr. Click Add to proceed..
- Under Create New Setting tab, perform the following changes:
- OS Action > Set as OS Upgrade (Upgrade only, supported on Android Oreo and above). Read on Reset Action.
- ZIP or UPL File > Since applying multiple OS update packages at one time, specify the path and filename to upload text file (with .UPL extension) to be consumed when updating the device. Read on OS Update File .
- Click Continue, review if needed then click Complete Profile.
- Click Export for MDM to generate the .XML file.
Part II. SOTI MobiControl v13.3 or later.
Create a File Sync Rule under the Android Plus tab which includes the mxconfig script to submit the XML configuration instructions to the MX layer of the Android device.
- Create Android Plus File Sync Rule. Read on Android+ Creating File Sync Rules .
- Set the Direction to Download file(s) from Server to Devices.
- Fill in the Device File / Folder Name as /data/tmp/public. Refer to Part 1 Step 7.
- Under Server File / Folder Name, specify folder path to OS update package .ZIP, .UPL and .XML files.
- Select the device(s) and/or device group(s) that the rule should target.
- For synchronization, use Device Update Schedule.
- Under review summarized information, select Advanced button.
- Scroll down and select Scripts button.
- Under the After file synchronization has completed execute script section, enter below script.
- Click OK then Finish.
||IMPORTANT! Make sure to disable the file sync rule once the target device(s) have been updated successfully, or else it may run again based on the device update schedule.