Issue / Question
How to perform OS update - single OS update package - using SOTI MobiControl's mxconfig script command?
The device is enrolled in DO mode, how to update the OS using an XML file and mxconfig?
Zebra Android 8.x and later
Resolution / Answer
StageNow - Power Manager
The Power Manager (PowerMgr) allows an app to perform certain OS and power-related actions on the device. These include rebooting or performing an OS update, resetting the device to a factory-fresh state, or putting the device into Sleep mode.
SOTI MobiControl - mxconfig
Submits XML configuration instructions to the MX layer of the device.
Part 1: StageNow.
Create an .XML file using StageNow. In this example, create a profile for Zebra Android Oreo SD660 based on this product family (TC52, TC57, TC72, TC77, or PS20).
||NOTE StageNow v4.0 or greater must be installed in your PC.
- Launch StageNow, click Create new Profile.
- From the Select a Wizard window, select MX version 8.1 or later.
- Select Xpert Mode then click Create.
- Enter a profile name. For example: Oreo_OS_Upgrade then click Start.
- Under the SETTINGS tab, select PowerMgr then click +.
- The CONFIG tab should list PowerMgr. Click Add to proceed.
- Under Create New Setting tab, perform the following changes:
- OS Action > Set as OS Upgrade (Upgrade only, supported on Android Oreo and above). Read on Reset Action.
- ZIP or UPL File > Specify the path and filename of the OS package .ZIP file to be consumed when updating the device. Read on OS Update File.
- Click Continue, review if needed then click Complete Profile.
- Click Export for MDM to generate the .XML file.
Part II. SOTI MobiControl v13.3 or later.
Create a File Sync Rule under the Android Plus tab which includes the mxconfig script to submit the XML configuration instructions to the MX layer of the Android device.
- Create the Android Plus File Sync Rule. Read on Android+ Creating File Sync Rules
- Set the Direction to Download file(s) from Server to Devices.
- Fill in the Device File / Folder Name as /data/tmp/public. Referring to Part 1 Step 7.
- Under Server File / Folder Name, specify folder path to OS update package .ZIP and .XML files.
- Select the device(s) and/or device group(s) that the rule should target.
- For synchronization, use the Device Update Schedule.
- Under review summarized information, select the Advanced button.
- Scroll down and select the Scripts button.
- Under the After file synchronization has completed execute script section, enter script below:
- Click OK then Finish.
||IMPORTANT! Make sure to disable the file sync rule once the target device(s) have been updated successfully, or else it may run again based on the device update schedule.