Issue / Question
OS update (.LNK) files will not copy over Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) 6.1 after Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703
All Zebra Windows CE devices
Resolution / Answer
Shortcut (.LNK) files fail to get copied to target Windows CE device over Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) 6.1 after Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) installed. Read More>>
If you are having issue getting the Windows CE device to connect to Windows 10, this post should help. Windows CE device does not connect with Windows 10 with Creators upgrade via WMDC
1. On the Windows 10 machine, drag and drop the OS update .LNK file into Notepad. Example 41X0c70Ben_TEMP
In Notepad, click on File> Open...> change view to All Files (*.*)
2. Save this file as text file. Example 41X0c70Ben_TEMP.txt.
3. Copy the entire OSUpdate folder which includes the OS update shortcut we just saved as text (.TXT)file using WMDC.
After copying, you will notice that all OS update files were transferred except the shortcut (.LNK) file.
4. On the Windows CE device, open File Explorer> View> Options...> unselect [ / ] Hide file extension. Tap OK to save.
5. Navigate to the OSUpdate folder to rename the .TXT file back to .LNK. Example 41X0c70Ben_TEMP.txt to 41X0c70Ben_TEMP.lnk.
6. At this point, tapping on the OS update shortcut (.LNK) will start the update process.
1. On the Windows 10 machine, open CMD shell (from Search type cmd then press Enter)
2. Navigate to the OSUpdate folder where the .lnk file is saved.
3. Rename the .lnk file to .txt using the command rename filename.lnk filename.txt.
Example 41X0c70Ben_TEMP.txt is renamed to 41X0c70Ben_TEMP.lnk.
4. Follow the same steps 3-6 outlined in Option 1 above.