Issue / Question
How can I configure the VC80x or VC83 to connect serially to my DS3608 scanner so that when I am in Velocity, my scanned data will be treated as Scanned Data and not Keyed Data?
VC80x, VC8300, DS3608, LI3608, and any RS232 connected scanners
Resolution / Answer
The intent will be used so data being scanned in will be treated as Scanned Data and not Keyed Data.
On the VC80x and VC83 units, you will perform the steps below in DataWedge.
- When testing the tethered scanner, ensure the USB cable used for ADB connection is not connected to the USB port on top (underneath the top cover) of the device to a PC. Otherwise, both the USB and RS-232 ports at the bottom will be disabled. Removing the USB cable will re-enable the bottom ports. Refer to this article for more information: VC80x/VC8300 Datawedge Serial Port Input Settings Missing Or USB Drives Not Working.
- Do not manually create a host profile in Velocity Client since this profile will use the Ivanti scan driver. Instead, create your host profile using Velocity Console then deploy the .wldep file.
- Open DataWedge so you can see the Profiles:
- Click on the three-dots ellipsis (…) in the upper-right corner.
- Select New profile.
- Enter a name for the new Profile. You can use Velocity if you like. Click OK.
Now your list will display the new Profile you have created:
- Select your newly created Profile from the list.
- Select Associated apps.
- Select the three-dots ellipsis (…) in the upper right corner to select New app/activity:
- Select com.wavelink.velocity, then select the asterisk (*) from the list that is shown. On older devices, you might need to manually type out com.wavelink.velocity.*
- Click the Back button then scroll down until you see the options for Serial Port Input.
For example, both Com1 and Com2 are enabled. You only need to enable the port you are using.
- Flag the checkbox to the right for the required port.
||NOTE For scanner cables using power on Pin 9, enable +5v to the Serial port in the VC Settings App.
- Scroll down until you see the Keystroke output (this will be enabled). Unflag the checkbox to disable this option.
Your result should look like this:
- Scroll down until you see the Intent output. Flag the checkbox to enable the option.
- Select the Intent action.
- Set the Intent action to com.wavelink.intent.action.BARCODE. (This is case sensitive).
- Select OK.
- Select Intent category.
- Under Enter intent category name, set it as: android.intent.category.DEFAULT.(This is case sensitive).
- Select OK, then select Intent delivery.
- Select Broadcast intent.
- Back out of DataWedge to save your changes.
- On your scanner, scan the Factory Defaults barcode. For the DS3608, you can scan the following barcode:
This will reset your DS3608 Scanner to all factory default values.
||NOTE In Velocity, make sure you have created a project that does not include the Ivanti Scan Driver.
- Save your Project and create your .wldep by selecting Deploy.
Your file will be saved with a .wldep extension.
- Transfer this to your Android device and then launch Velocity to test.