Windows 10 Enabling virtual keyboard by default when docked
Article ID: 01988490
Issue / Question
When in Communications cradle or Mount the On screen keyboard will not automatically appear even if no USB HID devices are attached
ET50 ET55 Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Tablets
Resolution / Answer
Enabling virtual keyboard by default when docked
To enable the virtual keyboard to automatically appear when touching a input field when in a communications cradle or mount
In the BIOS menu
Starting with the Tablet powered off
- Press and hold both the volume up an down buttons
- While holding press and hold the power button
- Continue to hold until the BIOS menu appears
- Select SCU
- Select Advanced > Miscellaneous > Advanced Settings = Enabled
- Select Advanced > Miscellaneous > Laptop/Slate mode device = Disabled
- Save & Exit
- Set the register value of key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl\ConvertibleSlateMode to 0
If pop-up appears asking about tablet/desktop mode, confirm with ‘OK’.
Restart the system for the settings to take effect.
- Shutdown & power-up may not work (only restart) if fast startup is enabled. This setting can be found under Power Options -> System Settings -> Shutdown Settings.
- Setting Laptop/Slate mode device to Disabled in BIOS will also disable automatic desktop/tablet mode switch when device is placed into docking station or removed from one.
For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/continuum
+ Applicable Products
- ET50 ET55