Issue / Question
How do I stop my scanner and computer from disconnecting after being idle?
All DCS Bluetooth capable scanners
Resolution / Answer
Step 1: Enable Automatic Bluetooth Services
- Open your Windows start menu and type “Services” in the search box or hit WIN+R and type “services.msc” in the run dialog box.
- Launch the Services menu. Sort the columns by name and look for the “Bluetooth Support Service” entry.
- Right click on that entry and select “Properties.” In the Properties menu look for the “Startup type” entry under the “General” tab.
- Switch the type to “Automatic” and hit apply. Close the Services menu.
Step 2: Disable Bluetooth Power Management.
- Open device manager by typing “Device Manager” in the Start Menu search box or by pressing WIN+R and typing “devmgmt.msc” in the run dialog box.
- You need to look down through the sections of the Device Manager for any mention of a Bluetooth device and/or mouse and check the properties of each instance. Look under “Bluetooth Radios,” “Mice and other pointing devices,” and “System devices.” What you’re looking for is “Power Management” tabs like this one.
- Any instance of “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” should be unchecked. You absolutely do not want to allow the computer to turn off either the Bluetooth radio or the attached Bluetooth devices to save power as this is the primary cause of the un-syncing issue you’re seeing with your scanner.