Topic or Information
Information regarding using Zebra Kiosk Printers in Hot or Cold Climates
Zebra Kiosk Printers
There special considerations for installation of Kiosk printers in hot or cold climates.
- There are many units installed in extreme temperatures as is experienced when used in for example parking meter machine installations where the enclosure becomes very hot out in the sun (as well as very cold in the winter).
- High temperatures are usually not a major problem with our receipt or ticket printers. If as part of the installation your customer has an LCD display, the display may lose contrast and eventually turn all black (and back to normal again when the the temperature decreases). These observations are from our own testing in environmental chambers. We have not had any problems for example in Australia where it can get as hot as in the U.S.A.
- Another factor to consider at high temperature is the paper used. A paper that has too low transit temperature may well turn black. This has not been recorded as a complaint but has been experienced in chamber tests. Be sure your customer speaks to a reputable thermal paper supplier and that they follow the specifications given.
- As far as cold weather is concerned, our specifications state that you can operate without heating elements down to -10 degrees C. Below that temperature, we use 2 different type heating systems. The basic one is just thermostat controlled, the other one has an additional humidity sensor. Both systems are using a small fan to get the air to circulate in the cabinet.
- The basic heating system unit is sufficient in most cases, but where high humidity might be expected, even at something like normal temperatures, the hygrostat heating system is recommended.
- In parking type installations and at severely low temperatures, additional thermostat controlled heating is required and a must, in the stand or the pole on top of which the printer/paper and system is usually housed.