QLn Series Firmware Download Failure and Force Download Mode
Article ID: 40647840
If the printer locks up while attempting to boot up or the unit is boot looping (starting up, shutting down, and then attempting to start up again) you will need to attempt forcing a firmware file to it. This procedure can also be used for standard firmware upgrades if normal procedures fail
Zebra QLn Series Mobile Printers
Cause or Overview
A corrupted firmware file can cause this issue to occur. This issue was typically only seen with initial firmware releases for the product and has since been corrected in current firmware versions
This Solution is useful when:
Force Download Procedure
You will need the following firmware and utilities for this USB-connected method.
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Unplug the battery.
3. Put a roll of paper or labels in the printer.
4. Connect the USB cable (insure that the battery is NOT installed).
5. Install the battery.
6. Hold down the two soft keys at the corners of the display and then push the green power button while holding the two soft keys.
The printer will enter Forced Download Mode and the display will look as follows:
7. Open the ZDownloader, click on the file menu item "Printer" and select “Auto Detect”
This message displays:
Then this one.
8. Select the printer that shows USB as the Port.
9. Select "File", "Select Firmware File"
10. Browse to the location of the saved firmware file and click "Open"
11. From the top menu select "Printer", "Download All"
It will take a few minutes to download while the progress message displays.
The printer LCD will display the following starting with......
The display will change as the download progresses
This message will be displayed when the printer completes the firmware installation.
- QLn Series Healthcare Mobile Printers
- QLn Series Mobile Printers
- QLn220 Healthcare
- QLn220 Mobile Printer
- QLn320 Healthcare
- QLn320 Mobile Printer
- QLn420 Mobile Printer