Solving Voids and Improper RFID Tag Encoding ZT400R Series Printers
ZT400R Series RFID Printers (ZT410R and ZT420R)
1. Is the printer calibrated to your Label's length? The default of the RFID printers at Media Power Up and Head Close is Feed so the printer may not properly calibrate your media's length. On standard printers it is Calibration. Perform a Media/Ribbon Cal (this is a full media calibration) to ensure that the media is properly calibrated to the appropriate label length. This is the most vital step to correcting voids as if the calibrated label length is incorrect, the program position will be incorrect as well and cause voids when printing/encoding. If you are not familiar with this procedure, click on the following link for details. Read More>>
2. IRun the RFID Calibrate. This should appropriately set the RFID settings (RFID Program Position, RFID Antenna, and RFID Read and Write Power, etc.). To do this, navigate the front panel into the RFID Menu () and scroll to the RFID Calibrate parameter and click the right hand dash under the LCD screen to start the calibration (the printer should slowly retract and then feed the media to detect the proper RFID program positioning and settings). Read More>>
3. After this, send a known good tag format such as below (you can copy the data to a text or notepad file and save it and then send that file as is with the .txt extension). Ensure that there is no voiding and that only the tag quantity specified is printed/encoded (in this example, the quantity is set to 1 as defined by the ^PQ1 but this can be increased if testing multiple tags is required). If this correctly prints/encodes, then you can move to setting up your software (software can override the printer and cause voids so please ensure proper settings are being applied). See the Helpful Information at the bottom of the document for details on sending a file to the printer.
4. While printing please make sure you keep the Media Cover closed. It keeps the dust out and prevents RF from being emitted.
5. If the steps above do not work, check to make sure the printer is at the current firmware level (Printer Firmware and Reader Firmware). Print a configuration label to check this. Note: If reader firmware is not listed on the website no update is available or it has been built into the printer's firmware. Trouble installing the firmware for your printer? When installing firmware into your printer. PLEASE BE PATIENT. If you shut off the printer in the middle of the download the printer will not receive the entire application and cause issues within the printer's memory.
6. Check Environment for Interference. External Reader/Antenna, Radio Waves, Electrical Power Cables, Cordless Phones etc.
If you do not have RFID hardware in your ZT400 Series Printer, contact your Zebra Reseller or Zebra Technical Support for appropriate upgrade kit part numbers.
Locate a Reseller Read More>>
Contact Tech Support Read More>>
Printing or downloading the printer configuration Read More>>
Sending Files to Printer Using ZDesigner Driver Read More>>
Sending Files to Printer Using Zebra Setup Utilities Read More>>
Common RFID Problems and Resolutions Read More>>
USB Communication Information Read More>>
RFID Programming Manual Read More>>