Updating a Database with New Image Records in CardStudio
Article ID: 51471091
CardStudio Professional provides a large selection of database connectivity options and image capture options.
Zebra CardStudio Standard or Professional Software
One common use of CardStudio is to take pictures for new ID badges and to insert that data into a local or remote database. In this article we show how to set up CardStudio to be able to realize this scenario. We will use an Excel file database in our walkthrough and will store the file paths pointing to our created image in the 'Picture' column. The empty Excel file is attached to the bottom of this solution and may be downloaded. It is assumed that you have a working camera attached to your computer. For a samples excel sheet, Read More>>
1. To start, we load up CardStudio Professional and load one of the template files that come with the installation. Once loaded, we insert an 'image from video source' object on the canvas.
2. Now we must link this image to our database source so that the pictures taken from our camera will be stored to it. Select the image and select 'Source' from the dashboard on the right. We will choose 'Database, Point to Image File' and select 'properties' if not prompted with a new screen.
3. For our example, we will choose the 'Picture' column since this corresponds to the Excel field that will store our soon-to-be-saved image's file path. You may have to perform a few additional steps to connect to your database if you haven't already done so. For more information on connecting to Excel-based databases in CardStudio, see the details in the following link. Read More>>
4. A new popup should appear allowing us to configure the default directory in which the images will be saved. For our example, we use the default CardStudio directory. We select 'User Input' as the file name so that the user can decide what to name the picture once it is taken. Other options include automatically generated names and counter-based names.
5. We finish the dialog above and then select the 'properties' option from the 'Database' menu. Here we make sure that our 'Picture' field (from our database) is associated with the Imager video source. This links our webcam with the field 'Picture'. When ready to insert data into this field, the imager should now pop up so that we can take a picture.
6. From the 'Database' menu on top, select 'Add' so as to insert a new record into our database. Enter values for 'ID', 'FirstName', and 'LastName'. Click on the 'Picture' field (which should be empty) and hit the enter key.
7. The imager should appear with the feed from your webcam or camera. Select the 'Capture Image' button in the bottom left to take a picture from the webcam. After modifying the picture to your liking, select the check box in the bottom right to save the picture and insert the file path to that image in your database.
8. You will be prompted to provide a name for the newly-taken picture. Notice that the picture, by default, is being stored in the directory specified in step 4. Here we save the picture with the record's name 'JohnDoe'.
9. At this point, the image JohnDoe.jpg should be saved to disk on the local computer, and the database will contain 'JohnDoe' in the 'Picture' column for this record. We can now see our picture being displayed in CardStudio's canvas:
Download CardStudio Software Read More>>
- P640i Card Printer
- ZXP Series 8 Secure Issuance Card Printer
- ZXP Series 3 with Security Enclosures
- ZXP Series 7 High Performance Card Printers
- ZXP Series 3 Card Printers
- ZXP Series 3 Professional Card Printers
- ZXP Series 7 Pro High Performance Card Printers
- ZXP Series 7 Card Printer
- ZXP Series 1 Standard Card Printers
- P330i Card Printer
- ZXP Series 8 High Security Retransfer Card Printer
- QuikCard Professional Solution Bundles
- QuikCard ID Standard Solution Bundles
- ZXP Series 3C Card Printers (China Only)
- ZXP Series 8 Card Printer
- ZXP Series 1 Standard Card Printers
- Food Safe Card Solution
- QuikCard Solutions Bundles
- P430i Card Printer
- Value Class Card Printer
- P630i Card Printer
- Card Printers
- ZXP Series 7 with Laminator