BEFORE UPDATING THE OS IMAGE EXTERNAL POWER MUST BE APPLIED TO THE TERMINAL VIA THE USB CHARGING CABLE OR CRADLE.
BSP Recovery Update Procedure for TC51 to latest BSP
1. Plug the TC51 into the USB & Charging Cable and then the Cable to the PC. If you have a Cradle with USB connectivity, connect it now.
2. You may need to pull down the top menu and if you see “USB for charging”, touch it and then change it to “File transfers”.
3. Open Command Prompt, run “adb devices” and check to see if you are able to see the device’s serial number… If yes, proceed… if not you will need to get the PC set up with the proper drivers or install an External SD Card.
4. You may also get a pop up on your PC (Win 7) that you will be connected as a Portable Media Player… this can be ignored.
a. Note: If you have an External SD Card installed, you can drag & drop the files on that card to perform the Recovery update that way… if not, continue with the ADB Sideload.
Download Image T51N0M3XCPUEF01204.6.zip
5. Entering into Recovery Mode
a. Choice 1: In Command Prompt, type “adb reboot recovery” and click enter.
b. Choice 2:
· Reset and hold PTT key
· When Zebra Technologies logo appears on the screen Release the PTT Key
6. Your TC51 will reboot and put you on the Android Recovery screen.
7. if applying update via Sideload Method
a. Use the Volume + and – to highlight, “Apply update from ADB” and press the Power Key to select it
8. if applying update via External SD card
a. Use the Volume + and – to highlight select option to “Apply update from SD card” and press the Power Key to select it
b. Use the Volume + and – to highlight package to be installed (Eg: T51N0M3XCFREF01204.6.zip) and press the Power Key to select it.
c. Repeat above steps (a) to install all the packages
d. Go to Step 10 once above steps are completed
9. With your Command Prompt open, type “adb sideload” and add a space and then drag and drop the on to it and click enter.
a. Your PC screen will show files being installed and a little blue horizontal progress bar on your device will show status… and after about 6 minutes (could be 10+ minutes if installing GMS) it should be done and you should be back at the Android Recovery screen.
b. Repeat Step 9 for all packages.
10. “Reboot system now” is highlighted. Press the Power Key to Reboot.
11. Device reboots and you see Zebra on top and POWERED BY android at the bottom and after about 1 minute will transition to the TC51 Touch Computer splash screen with 5 dancing white dots at bottom… it will stay at this screen for a little over another minute (could be another 7+ minutes if installing GMS) and then you are at the Factory “Welcome” screen.
12. If you installed a GMS BSP, you will need to complete the process by setting up Wi-Fi and E-mail accounts and such. If on AOSP (non-GMS), there is no process to follow.
13. At the Home Screen, we need to verify that the BSP upgrade took place and set the Date & Time.
a. Go to “Settings” and scroll down to “About phone” and look at the “Build number”. It should start with “01-12-04.6-MG”. Now you are on the correct BSP.
b. Setting the Date and Time. If you associate to a WLAN AP, do so now, as it should automatically set the time and date… the only thing left is to set the time zone. Go to “Settings” and scroll to and select “Date & time”. Scroll down to and select “Select time zone”, and scroll down to and select the appropriate time zone and you are done.
14. Now you are all set to use your TC51.