AppCenter 1.1 (Build 1508) Release Notes
AppCenter CE 1.10
AppCenter is an end-user application access control engine that restricts activity to a set of authorized applications on mobile devices
• Active and passive approach to restricting application activity
• Locks the user out of executing “unauthorized” applications
Presents a launch platform of authorized applications in icon form
• Unauthorized applications terminated
• Typical scenario - kiosk application
• End-user runs ONLY specified application
A valid Symbol security key must exist in the device registry before AppCenter will operate on the device. Refer to the RegFile-Readme.txt file located in the PlatformReg folder contained in the ZIP file.
Installation and Cold Boot Recovery for Symbol platform instructions are included in the AppCenter CE Admin Guide (AppCenterCE.NET Admin GuideV110.pdf).
AppCenter CE 1.10 compatible with the following Symbol devices:
Windows CE 4.x
Windows CE 5.x
Version v1.10 Build 1508
1. The alpha key state now works correctly on the Zebra MT2000.
2. The taskbar time is now shown in the same font as the title.
Version v1.10 Build 1502
1. The Zebra MSP Plugin for AppCenter has been updated to skip new WM-only features.
2. AppCenter is unchanged in this release.
Version v1.10 Build 1500
1. Two command line options have been added. -restart will stop the current AppCenter process and then launch a new AppCenter process. This allows configuration changes to be reloaded. -terminate stops the current AppCenter process.
2. The Zebra MSP Plugin for AppCenter has been added to this release.
Version v1.10 Build 1490
1. An issue was encountered with applications, such as IE, that require the work areas (screen size) to be set before they can be viewed in full screen mode, not being presented in full screen mode correctly through AppCenter. To address this, improvements have been made to the HideAllTaskBars feature.
Version v1.10 Build 1478
1. To address an issue where, after repeated cold resets, AppCenter was starting before the registry key had been created and would present a “not approved platform” error message on CE5.0 devices, AppCenter now waits up to 10 seconds for a valid platform registry key before failing.
Version v1.10 Build 1472
1. The AppCenter taskbar was being covered by full screen windows after a MB_TOPMOST message box displayed. This issue has been fixed.
Version v1.10 Build 1466
1. A bug was introduced in build 1450. Tapping on white space in the AppCenter window was launching the last selected program. This issue has been fixed.
Version v1.10 Build 1458
1. Added support for the WT4000 NG Wearable.
2. A new registry setting allows you to return to the AppCenter screen using a keystroke rather than tapping the Home icon.
HomeHotKey defaults to Ctrl+F10 (2121). Set to zero to disable this feature. The setting can be changed to any valid virtual key code. For example the F1-F10 keys have virtual key codes of 112-121. All virtual key codes are documented in MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com). Search on "virtual key codes". The documented values are in hexadecimal and should be converted to decimal.
To combine a key with the Alt, Control or Shift keys, add 1000 for Alt, add 2000 for Control and add 4000 for Shift.
The setting is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symbol\AppCenter. There is no user interface for this setting. When AppCenter is run this registry setting is created with the default value if it doesn't already exist.
3. The AdminLoginHotKey setting can now be defined to use the Alt, Control or Shift keys. Add 1000 for Alt, add 2000 for Control and add 4000 for Shift.
4. A HideSip checkbox has been added to the Options dialog. This setting defaults to false and controls whether the SIP icon is displayed on AppCenter's taskbar when AppCenter is in the foreground.
Version v1.10 Build 1360
1. A new registry setting allows you to bring up the admin login dialog with one key press.
Version v1.10 Build 1332
1. There is a new program option named HideAllTaskBars. When this option is set true and a program is run from within AppCenter, both the Windows and AppCenter task bars are hidden. This option can be used with programs that want to use the whole screen. The program is responsible for setting its window size to the full screen size.
Version v1.10 Build 1286
1. The signal strength icon can now be configured to run the new Symbol Fusion radio utilities. The new FusionMode registry setting is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbol\AppCenter.
There is no user interface for this setting. The first time AppCenter is run this registry setting is created with the default value of 0. If this setting is greater than zero, it will override the MobileCompanionMode setting. The following values are supported:
0 - No action is taken.
1 - Run the Fusion status program.
2 - Run the Fusion diagnostics program. 3 - Show a menu for status or diagnostics. 4 - Show the full Fusion menu.
2. A new ShowKeyStates registry setting can be used to display taskbar icons showing the current state of the Alpha, Func, Shift and Ctrl keys. The setting is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbol\AppCenter.
There is no user interface for this setting. The first time AppCenter is run this registry setting is created with the default value of false (0) which is consistent with previous versions. Set true (1) to enable the display of key state icons on the taskbar.
Components of .zip file
Define the files in the .zip file
AppCenter Admin Guide
WCE 410/420/500 Folder
Main AppCenter executable
Readme file for security registry key information
Symbol security registry files for devices
Document Number / Revision / Release Date
AppCenter CE 1.10 Release Notes (Build 1508).doc / September 21, 2009