Issue / Question
How to perform an OS Update using StageNow Tool or SOTI MobiControl?
Zebra Android 7.x or older, StageNow Tool, SOTI MobiControl
Resolution / Answer
Perform OS Update
Use this Wizard to perform an OS update on a device. The OS Update action applies an update or patch to the OS by downloading a .zip file to the device or using a .zip file that exists on the device. This Wizard allows connection to a network.
Refer to TechDocs: Perform OS Update for step-by-step instructions.
Perform Incremental OS update
The incremental update is used to perform OS updates on multiple devices based on defined conditions present on specific target devices. For example, if seeking to perform an operation only on TC51 devices, a condition could be defined that checks for the string "TC51" in the Product Model field. For more information, see the Condition Manager Guide.
||NOTE Incremental OS Update is supported only on devices with MX 6.0 or higher.
Refer to TechDocs: Perform Incremental OS Update for step-by-step instructions.
||NOTE SOTI MobiControl v13.3 or newer.
- Start the Android+ Creating File Sync Rules.
- Set Direction to Download file(s) from Server to Devices.
- Ensure Device File / Folder Name is set as %sdcard%.
- For Server File / Folder Name, specify the complete file system path to OS update .zip file.
- Select the device(s) and/or device group(s) that the rule should target.
- For synchronization, use the Device Update Schedule.
- Under review summarized information, select the Advanced button.
- Scroll down and select the Scripts button.
- From the After file synchronization has completed execute script section, enter the below script: Read More>>
sendintent -b "intent:#Intent;action=com.symbol.intent.action.UPDATE_PACKAGE;S.file=/sdcard/OSUpdate.zip;end"
OSUpdate.zip is to be replaced with the exact OS update .zip file specified in Step 4.
- Click OK then click Finish.
- Under the Devices tab, select device(s) and/or device group(s) assigned to this file sync rule, right-click then select Sync Files Now.
||IMPORTANT! Ensure to disable the file sync rule for OS update once the target devices have been updated so that this rule does not run again and try to update the same devices.