Chalk Talk Episode #12: Don’t Get into a Football Trivia Challenge with Cincinnati Bengals Defensive End Jeffrey Gunter. You Will Not Win.
A life-long student of the NFL, Jeffrey is now living his dream of spending every day on the field. But he didn’t get here by wishing and hoping. This dream is the result of hard work and determination. Hear this underdog’s story.
Name an NFL team from 1974 and 23-year-old Jeffrey Gunter will start spewing off player names, statistics and more. That’s what happens when you watch NFL Network every weekend as a child instead of cartoons. You put yourself in a position to know a lot about football and to make it to the NFL, despite the societal odds that may be against you.
See, Jeffrey Gunter – who just completed his rookie season as a defensive end for the Cincinnati Bengals – spent most of his youth overlooked, underrated and under-recruited. His mom told him he would go far, though, and kept pushing him to push himself. So, he did.
His senior year of high school, he switched from safety (a position he played his whole life) to defensive end. Though he was probably too skinny for that position at only 185 pounds, he was super scrappy – a trait that the scouts at Coastal Carolina University valued tremendously when they recruited him. Appreciating the opportunity he had received to get one step closer to reaching his childhood dream of playing in the NFL, and determined not to be red-shirted like everyone told him he would, Jeffrey showed up to college a semester early to ensure he could get on the field his freshman year and make an immediate impact.
He knows that hard work will always be seen, and that if you put yourself in the best position to succeed every single day of your life, at some point, you’re going to get a chance to show what you can do. In other words, you can’t control the situation you’re in, but you can control how you handle it. And Jeffrey sure has handled every situation with poise, professionalism and humility.
Listen to our Chalk Talk chat with him now to hear more about…
- What his first year in the NFL was like – and what he encountered on his wild journey to the NFL.
- How he and his buddies use the NFL’s Next Gen Stats.
- Why he doesn’t regret putting his family first his whole life, even when it risked his football career.
- The biggest life lesson he’s learned and the advice he gives to other people who feel they’re not being given a fair shake – or that people don’t even know to look in their direction – whether in sports, business or life in general.
Missed these past Chalk Talk episodes? Catch up now:
- Chalk Talk: Love the NFLs Next Gen Stats? This is How They All Come Together Inside the Command Center
- Chalk Talk Episode #2: Did You Know RFID Technology Was Used to Track Player Movements During 2022 NFL Combine Drills? Find Out What That Means for This Years Recruits (and Future Scouting Decisions).
- Chalk Talk Episode #3: NFL Pros Dwayne Johnson, Jr. and Chris Streveler Just Spent Three Weeks Working at Zebra. Find Out Why (and What It Was Like).
- Chalk Talk Episode #4: Its NFL Draft Time, and We Have Some Thoughts on How Things Will Play Out
- Chalk Talk Episode #5: The 2022 NFL Draft Was Proof That Anything Can Happen in Vegas
- Chalk Talk Episode #6: Former NFL Coach Sean Payton Talks about His New Team, as Well as What Excites and Frightens Him about the Next Chapter of His Movie-Worthy Story
- Chalk Talk Podcast Episode #7: NFL Legend and Football Operations Executive, Troy Vincent, Says Data Will Change What Players, Coaches, Officials and Scouts Do This Season. Find Out How.
- Chalk Talk Episode #8: Legendary Sportscaster David “Kap” Kaplan Just Wants Us All to Get Along and Live Life All In and He Has Some Ideas (and a Tattoo) to Inspire Us
- Chalk Talk Episode #9: NFL Pro and Life Literacy Coach Brandon Copeland Wants Us All to Start Normalizing Conversations Around Money and Meet New People. Here’s Why.
- Chalk Talk Episode #10: Legendary NFL Long Snapper Patrick Mannelly and Bernie’s Book Bank CEO Darrin Utynek Team Up to Share Stories of Unsung Heroes
Want Our Bi-Weekly Blog Roundup?
Subscribe to Zebra's Blog
Prefer Real-Time Notifications?
Get the RSS feeds
Search the Blog
Are You a Zebra Developer?
Find more technical discussions on our Developer Portal blog.
Reflexis is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Reflexis blog for more retail, hospitality and banking-related insights.
Fetch Robotics is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Fetch blog for robotics-related insights.
Looking for more expert insights?
Visit the Zebra Story Hub for more interviews, news, and industry trend analysis.