Milan –April 27, 2015 – USL di Reggio Emilia, the Regional Health Service office for the Italian province of Reggio Emilia, has implemented Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA) wireless solutions throughout the hospital. The Wireless Network Solution (WNS) provided by Zebra has allowed staff to access patients’ medical records securely and in real time via mobile computers, contributing to improved patient care with records available at all times. Zebra also provides employee and guest Wi-Fi access and enables hospital staff to make calls with Voice Over Wireless Local Area Network (VoWLAN), which has significantly reduced costs associated with calls at the hospital.
USL Reggio Emilia’s legacy WLAN infrastructure was plagued by outages, bottlenecks and latency issues as it struggled to cope with the increasing number of high-bandwidth applications and users accessing networks with personal devices. As medical teams tried to access and download patient data via their mobile computers, poor wireless coverage resulted in inconsistent real-time availability of patient records including state, medication or special patient needs. Staff also faced challenges uploading information on medication taken, leading to frustrating delays that could seriously impact patient care. It also resulted in an increased workload for already overstretched medical personnel, who had to save critical patient data to the centralised server at the end of a shift.
Following the successful implementation of Zebra’s wireless solutions, USL Reggio Emilia has seen improved patient care, with real-time medical records available around the clock on a highly secure network with essential view data protection. Medical staff can now work more productively and efficiently with a reliable, robust wireless signal throughout hospital premises, irrespective of network usage. Staff also benefitted from the simple installation and centralised management of the solutions, and the complete network visibility offered with advanced analysis resulted in faster troubleshooting.
- The Zebra system, designed and supplied to USL Reggio Emilia through its partner Mead Informatica, is extremely scalable and helps ensure security and the highest levels of access and data exchange.
- USL Reggio Emilia implemented Zebra’s WNS which includes multipurpose and modular access points, a centralised command centre and an AirDefense Services Platform.
- The AirDefense Services Platform ensures USL Reggio Emilia full control over the workflows, with non-stop network monitoring and new analytical information in the form of detailed reports, updated in real time. With the new system, all status information can be displayed through a centralized dashboard, with provisioning capabilities that allow proactive intervention modes in the case of errors. The centralized WLAN management and new control modes implemented through a customized dashboard are based on the AirDefense Services Platform.
- USL Reggio Emilia’s new Wi-Fi system works with high-performing AP 6522 access points alongside AP 8132s with MOD 8132 sensor module internal antennas. The access points immediately ensured a strong, reliable wireless signal throughout the site, despite the numerous buildings involved and potential for interference from medical equipment.
- The AirDefense Wireless IPS sensors plugged in to the AP 8132s sent further information to the AirDefense Services Platform to ensure absolute security of the network.
- Zebra’s AirDefense allows advanced control over wireless security and WLAN infrastructure management, which fully meets the USL Reggio Emilia’s needs in terms of monitoring its wireless network. It features remote connectivity troubleshooting and provides a reliable, risk-free wireless network.
Mauro Barani, ICT Manager, USL di Reggio Emilia
“We are responsible for operations at the five hospitals we manage across the region of Reggio Emilia. Technology plays a key role in patient care, but there’s no point having all the latest medical innovations if critical internal communications are wanting. Our previous network lacked bandwidth, intelligence and coverage. With medical records now being accessed and updated online and a requirement for VoWLAN, we needed an intelligent, high-performance, reliable network, which is fully secure, scalable and easy to manage. Zebra Technologies fulfilled all our needs, and user feedback has been exceptional.”
Marco Ferrari, account manager, Mead Informatica, a Zebra channel partner
"We have extensive experience working in the healthcare sector so our goal was to provide Reggio Emilia the best solution together with the best technological expertise and experience in providing connectivity services. Zebra was the clear choice for Reggio Emilia to help them meet the demand for an intelligent, secure, scalable, easy-to-manage network with excellent coverage and quality of service.”
Daniele Schinelli, country manager, Enterprise Business Italy, Zebra Technologies
"Our goal is to help our customers achieve secure wireless connectivity so they can perform their day-to-day tasks more effectively while keeping costs low. Thus, we are delighted to work with Reggio Emilia and Mead Informatica to bring quality, secure WLAN connectivity to the hospital to ultimately help improve patient care.”
About USL Reggio Emilia
USL di Reggio Emilia (AUSLRE) is part of the Italian National Health Service. It is the Regional Health Service office for the Italian province of Reggio Emilia. It is responsible for everything from primary care, social services and pharmaceutical distribution to health advertising campaigns. It manages five hospitals in the region.
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Zebra tracking and visibility solutions transform the physical to digital, creating the data streams enterprises need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses, and empower their mobile workforces.
About Mead Informatica
MEAD has always believed in innovation and a continuous search for solutions, distinguished by the ability to integrate heterogeneous systems. Over the years we have developed significant experience, specializing in the design, implementation and management of infrastructure of Information and Communication Technology.
Media and Industry Analyst Contact:
Zebra Technologies, Zebra and the Zebra logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Zebra Technologies Corporation and are used under license. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. ©2015 Zebra Technologies Corporation. All rights reserved.