This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – May 22, 2014 – WLAN technology offered by Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE:MSI) is helping transform the learning experience for students, teachers and faculty at the Kenosha Unified School District (KUSD) in Wisconsin. The district supports nearly 7,000 mobile tablets and 12,000 desktops and laptops on the network which serves more than 26,000 students and staff.
Additionally, they are planning a bring-your-own-device programme, which could add an additional 10,000 devices to the system. KUSD wanted to implement a standardized, centrally managed solution across all of its schools. Motorola was selected after a comprehensive network test and technical evaluation against its competitors.
KUSD worked with Motorola PartnerEmpower Platinum partner Advanced Wireless Inc. to survey all of its buildings to find the best possible placement for the WLAN equipment. In addition to installing the wireless access points, the district wired all of the buildings and moved to a Gigabit switching system to support the new wireless infrastructure.
The Motorola high-speed wireless network has allowed for better equipment options and enhanced educational tools in addition to increased mobility and efficiency. Students and staff are empowered to use information more effectively and collaborate through online programmes.
- The WiNG 5 operating system provides the advanced brainpower required to create network awareness for the WLAN, allowing every piece of infrastructure in a wireless network to work together to route every transmission as efficiently as possible.
- Motorola’s centralized controllers provide comprehensive, hierarchical management enabling both robust security and site-survivability at the edge of the network and seamless roaming between sites.
- Motorola access points deployed in school buildings deliver high-performance, lower cost of deployment, and the speed required to support the most demanding applications, including voice and video.
- KUSD is the third largest school district in the state of Wisconsin with 40 schools covering 3.5 million square feet.
- Advanced Wireless, Inc. (AWI) worked with Motorola on the design, staging, installation and support of the KUSD project. AWI was founded in 1995 and provides enterprise mobility solutions changing the way associates capture data, access resources and collaborate throughout their "Sphere of Mobility". AWI has customer installations in all 50 states, Puerto Rico as well as Canada, Japan, Mexico and the United Kingdom.
Jim Hanrahan, support coordinator, Operations and Applications, Kenosha Unified School District
“Motorola Solutions’ WLAN equipment allowed us to manage 1,000 access points through a single pane of glass and did not require numerous controllers and other devices. We needed something that was simple, easy-to-use and would not require a lot of IT manpower. This WLAN solution is the right answer.”
Kris Keckler, executive director, Information and Accountability, Kenosha Unified School District
“Many school districts aren’t just viewing themselves as school districts anymore. They are approaching education as a business, where they care for the customers and their needs. Motorola Solutions’ WLAN technology is providing us with the tools that allow our students to develop the technological capabilities they need to succeed.”
Imran Akbar, vice president and general manager, Enterprise Networks & Communications, Motorola Solutions
“The high-speed wireless network from Motorola Solutions enables educators to give their students the most advanced learning environment possible. Teachers are able to access more educational tools and have the freedom to teach in new and creative ways. The speed, reliability and cost effectiveness of the solution also allows for a broader selection of equipment choices which in turn leads to lower costs for the school district.”
Website: Motorola Solutions Wireless LAN
Website: Motorola Solutions Education
Website: Kenosha Unified School District
Website: Advanced Wireless Inc.
Facebook: Motorola Solutions
MOTOROLA, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2014 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.