IDSTEIN, Germany – May 26, 2015 – Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in products and services that provide real-time visibility into organisations’ assets, people and transactions, equips all 75 Feneberg supermarkets in Germany with its future-proof MP6000 multi-plane 1D/2D bioptic imagers, DS4208 general purpose handheld 2D imagers and DS9208 omnidirectional presentation imagers. With the new technology, Feneberg will replace its existing point of sale (POS) system including cash points, printers and scales. By modernizing its checkout infrastructure, Feneberg can further increase the efficiency of its retail staff and improve its customer service. The high-performance, data capture solutions enable Feneberg to scan any bar code, even if it is damaged or displayed on the screen of a mobile phone or on a plastic loyalty card.
The Zebra’s scanners and imagers will be delivered and implemented by the partner IT-Informatik who will also provide the POS software with its retail solutions suite factor:plus. Moreover, the checkout scales from Mettler Toledo will be integrated into Zebra’s MP6000 multi-plane 1D/2D bioptic imagers to further optimise performance at the POS and save customers valuable time at the checkout. The rollout of the checkout technology will be completed within the next months.
- The MP6000 multi-plane 1D/2D bioptic imager enables a faster checkout for Feneberg customers at the point of sale. With its modular design and the embedded customer side scanner for expanded functionality, the MP6000 allows Feneberg’s retail staff to scan 1D and 2D bar codes and engage with shoppers’ smartphones. The MP6000 easily scans traditional paper-based bar codes as well as mobile coupons and bar codes from loyalty cards or from the screen of a shopper’s mobile device.
- To help move customers quickly through the checkout process and eliminate the challenge of trying to align the bar code “just right,” the MP6000 provides full six-sided coverage with 100 percent imaging technology. The results are excellent performance and better read-rates than offered by laser or hybrid bioptic scanners on damaged, poorly printed and overwrapped bar codes. Thanks to its flexible design, the imager can grow with Feneberg’s needs and allows the integration of checkout scales from Mettler Toledo, which will be implemented in the course of the rollout.
- Feneberg is also using the DS4208 general-purpose handheld 2D imagers and DS9208 omnidirectional presentation imagers at the checkout in their supermarkets’ bakeries, butcheries and flower shops. Both the DS4208 and DS9208 are equipped with true point-and-shoot, first-time scanning simplicity and provide a durable design for everyday reliability.
- The DS4208 handheld bar code imager is intuitive, easy-to-use and quickly reads 1D and 2D printed bar codes from virtually any kind of surface. It delivers the blazing speed typical of laser scanners on both 1D and 2D bar codes, allowing Feneberg’s retail staff to accommodate 2D bar codes without sacrificing scanning quality or performance. With the most compact footprint in its class, the DS9208 can fit in the most space constrained areas.
- Feneberg also benefits from Zebra’s Service From the Start programme, providing comprehensive coverage for the checkout solutions. This enables Feneberg to focus on its business and customer service as well as to decrease equipment downtime.
- After the successful introduction of Zebra’s portable shopping system at Feneberg’s supermarkets in 2010, the retailer has steadily expanded its use of mobile self-scanning solutions to further increase customer service.
Detlev Klerke, managing director, EDV Service GbR (IT service provider of Feneberg Lebensmittel GmbH)
“We are looking back at a strong and successful engagement with Zebra Technologies. They offer the best solutions for our needs at an optimum total cost of ownership. This is why we chose the reliable, high-performance retail technologies again when we decided to modernize our checkout environment. The best-in-class scanning and imaging solutions from Zebra enable us to meet current and further requirements and consequently provide our customers the best possible service such as scanning 2D bar codes from their loyalty cards and eliminating long waiting lines at the checkout.”
Andreas Schöttmer, senior account manager, Retail, Zebra Technologies
“We are delighted to be selected by Feneberg once more and supply our innovative scanning and imaging solutions together with our partner IT-Informatik. With our technologies, we enable Feneberg’s retail staff to capture bar codes from virtually any kind of surface in an easy way, thus protecting service levels and customer loyalty. Moreover, our retail solutions can be flexibly adapted to future needs, protecting current investments.”
Download the full PDF.
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Its localisation and visibility solutions transform the physical into the digital and create the data flows companies need to streamline their operations, know more about their activities and give their mobile employees more responsibility. To find out more, visit www.zebra.com/possibilities
Media and Industry Analyst Contact:
©2015 ZIH Corp. Zebra, the stylized Zebra head and the Zebra Technologies logo are ZIH Corp trademarks registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.