Chalk Talk Episode #6: Former NFL Coach Sean Payton Talks about His New Team, as Well as What Excites and Frightens Him about the Next Chapter of His Movie-Worthy Story
We chatted with the soon-to-be Fox Sports analyst about what’s most important to him, why he’s a big fan of homework, and how the football landscape is changing on and off the field. Listen now.
Sean Payton is an NFL legend – and a movie star! Yet he doesn’t let the celebrity get to him. I mean, he took the time to call into Chalk Talk even though this is crunch time for him and his new team.
Coach Payton joined us for this latest episode of Chalk Talk, and he spent 30 minutes talking with my co-host, Hale Hentges and me about everything from his early career decisions to his biggest fear about the big life change he’s making right now. Of course, we also asked about his expectations for the upcoming NFL Season – his first one off the field and out in front of the camera with Fox Sports – and what he’s going to carry forward with him from his coaching experience. However, I don’t think Coach Payton is done being a teacher. Hale and I learned a lot about him during these 30 minutes, and we learned a lot from him. In fact, the career advice he offered all of us is worth writing down!
So, tune in now. You’ll want to hear every last thing Coach Payton says:
Former NFL Coach and Soon-to-Be Fox Sports Analyst Sean Payton Talks About the Past, Present and Future
Only have a few minutes? These are some things you just won’t want to miss, so fast forward to find out:
- [1:39] If he plans to star in another movie anytime soon and why he will definitely be loving life in front of the camera as a Fox Sports studio analyst this fall.
- [2:38] How he’s preparing for his new role as an NFL commentator and his biggest fear making this leap.
- [4:00] Why “timing” is everything.
- [6:26] When he knew he wanted to coach and what he will miss most.
- [8:03] What it was really like playing and coaching at all levels of football (and in different countries).
- [10:40] Why he tells people to stay focused on the job you have now if you want other opportunities to come up for you. (He also shares the one trait that’s underrated in people that he believes goes a long way to career success.)
- [14:15] What he’s learned about communication as a player and coach.
- [15:35] The reasons why he was among the first to test – and fully embrace – new technology tools such as RFID as an NFL coach.
- [16:35] How technology has transformed football in ways that may not be fully evident to fans, broadcasters and other outside observers.
- [17:35] Why he thinks technology is a simple solution to many things (and what you can do to keep it from complicating your life or job).
- [21:19] The data points Sean and his staff looked at regularly using player tracking technology and why those were most important.
- [26:57] How much has really changed in the NFL since he first joined the league as a player and what the NFL experience might be like 35 years from now for players, coaches, fans or broadcasters.
- [31:02] His (unbiased) opinion on the underdog players and teams to watch in the upcoming seasons and who he thinks will be the strongest Super Bowl contenders. And his predictions for the upcoming NFL season (and Super Bowl).
- [36:00] One thing you might not know about Coach Payton as a person.
Coach Payton has agreed to call back into Chalk Talk during Week 9 of the upcoming NFL season to give us a download on what he’s seeing play out on the field and how things are going for him personally in his new role. Mark your calendars now to tune back in (or just subscribe to the Your Edge Blog and Podcast now, home of Chalk Talk).
Catch Up on Past Chalk Talk Episodes and “Stories from the Edge” with Coach Sean Payton Here:
- Chalk Talk Episode #5: The 2022 NFL Draft Was Proof That Anything Can Happen in Vegas
- Chalk Talk Episode #4: Chalk Talk Episode #4: It’s NFL Draft Time, and We Have Some Thoughts on How Things Will Play Out
- Chalk Talk Episode #3: NFL Pros Dwayne Johnson, Jr. and Chris Streveler Just Spent Three Weeks Working at Zebra. Find Out Why (and What It Was Like).
- Chalk Talk Episode #2: Did You Know RFID Technology Was Used to Track Player Movements During 2022 NFL Combine Drills? Find Out What That Means for This Year’s Recruits (and Future Scouting Decisions).
- Chalk Talk Episode #1: Not Sure Who to Cheer for During Super Bowl LVI? These Next Gen Stats May Help with Your Decision.
Want Our Bi-Weekly Blog Roundup?
Subscribe to Zebra's Blog
Prefer Real-Time Notifications?
Get the RSS feeds
Search the Blog
Are You a Zebra Developer?
Find more technical discussions on our Developer Portal blog.
Reflexis is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Reflexis blog for more retail, hospitality and banking-related insights.
Fetch Robotics is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Fetch blog for robotics-related insights.
Looking for more expert insights?
Visit the Zebra Story Hub for more interviews, news, and industry trend analysis.