Chalk Talk Episode #3: NFL Pros Dwayne Johnson, Jr. and Chris Streveler Just Spent Three Weeks Working at Zebra. Find Out Why (and What It Was Like).
Will they follow in the footsteps of former NFL Pro Hale Hentges and join Zebra Nation full time after they retire from the league (whenever that may be)? You’ll have to tune in to find out.
Zebra works with the NFL in so many cool ways, and we spend a lot of time in stadiums and on fields – in players’ worlds. So, we’re always excited when we get to welcome NFL players into our world. For three weeks in March, two NFL pros came to work at Zebra, spending their days with different teams and learning about all the exciting things we’re doing with technology right now.
Quarterback Chris Streveler and safety Dwayne Johnson, Jr. did not know what they were getting themselves into. But they’re glad they were selected to be Zebra’s 2022 NFL externs, as you’ll hear in our latest episode of Chalk Talk. Will they follow in the steps of my co-host Hale Hentges, who joined Zebra full time after externing with us in 2021? Or do they have other plans for their lives (beyond football/when they retire)? Listen now to find out that along with why…
- Hale retired from the NFL right after his externship with Zebra (and why he chose to join Zebra Nation when he made the decision to reboot his career, even though he never thought he would work in tech).
- it’s important for NFL players to consider “what’s next” even if they have plans to stay in the league for decades.
- it’s okay if you don’t “pick a path and stick with it.”
- Chris’ experience as a quarterback made a technology externship so appealing (even though he knew nothing about tech when he applied for the program).
- Dwayne decided to extern at Zebra (after completing a NASA bootcamp, no less).
- Dwayne and Chris have big dreams about getting into real estate one day.
- Chris’s “grey cup/fur coat” moment in Canada went so viral.
- Dwayne is working hard to find his identity off the field.
- the “business of football” really is a numbers game.
- Hale tells all athletes to “invest in yourself.”
- athletes shouldn’t put all their eggs in one basket
Chalk Talk Episode #3: A Sit Down with Zebra's Two NFL Externs
P.S. We also talk about the NFL players that we each looked up to over the years. (Some may surprise you, others definitely won’t.) And we offer our early predictions on which teams will make it to the Super Bowl this upcoming season. (Chris’ prediction that the Miami Dolphins will go all the way isn’t bias, despite what you may be thinking. Find out why we agree with him.)
Missed the first few episodes? Catch up now:
- Chalk Talk Episode #2: Did You Know RFID Technology Was Used to Track Player Movements During 2022 NFL Combine Drills? Find Out What That Means for This Year’s Recruits (and Future Scouting Decisions).
- Chalk Talk Episode #1: Not Sure Who to Cheer for During Super Bowl LVI? These Next Gen Stats May Help with Your Decision.
- An Analysis of the Chalk Talk Commentators: What Do You Think? Were Adam Petrus and Hale Hentges Spot On with Their Super Bowl Predictions?
Want Our Bi-Weekly Blog Roundup?
Subscribe to Zebra's Blog
Prefer Real-Time Notifications?
Get the RSS feeds
Search the Blog
Are You a Zebra Developer?
Find more technical discussions on our Developer Portal blog.
Reflexis is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Reflexis blog for more retail, hospitality and banking-related insights.
Fetch Robotics is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Fetch blog for robotics-related insights.
Looking for more expert insights?
Visit the Zebra Story Hub for more interviews, news, and industry trend analysis.