Ask the Expert: Is Zebra Really One of the Top Robotics Companies in the World?
According to well-respected robotics and automation executive, Jim Lawton, the answer is yes! Zebra has the ability to deliver “automation for all” businesses, regardless of size or industry.
Did you know that automation solutions have been around just as long as Zebra? That’s right. The first robot was put into production over 50 years ago, just about the same time that Zebra’s first scanning solutions were being put to work in manufacturing, supply chain and retail environments. And though our early “scanning” vision was focused on extracting barcode data, today we’re also helping customers tap into the power of computer vision, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and 3D sensors to scan store aisles, assembly lines, warehouse shelves, trailers and more!
In fact, it is the unique convergence of these technology platforms that is fueling the advancement of automation, particularly collaborative robotics solutions that empower people to work more intelligently, prescriptively and efficiently as operational demands increase. And it is the fusing of physical and cognitive automation that makes Jim Lawton so excited about Zebra’s future.
Jim is a well-respected expert and accomplished executive in the robotics and automation space who joined Zebra Nation last month after spending several years leading the product strategy for world-renowned automation companies such as Universal Robots and Rethink Robotics, where he also served as Chief Operating Officer. Now, he is leading our new robotics automation business unit with the goal of delivering “automation for all.”
“The Past, Present and Future Role of Robotics Automation” with Jim Lawton
In this 15-minute podcast interview, Jim shares his thoughts on:
- Zebra’s pioneering innovation in the automation space.
- The evolution of robotics automation in the last five years and where he thinks the technology is heading.
- Why it’s important to make automation solutions accessible to businesses of all sizes in all industries as quickly as possible and how Zebra hopes to propel collaborative robotics and software automation strategy into the mainstream.
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the adoption of collaborative robotics and software automation solutions, particularly among supply chain organizations.
- The May 1977 movie that inspired him to get into robotics.
- The one daily practice that he has found to be most rewarding (besides building robots).
Want Our Bi-Weekly Blog Roundup?
Subscribe to Zebra's Blog
Prefer Real-Time Notifications?
Get the RSS feeds
Search the Blog
Are You a Zebra Developer?
Find more technical discussions on our Developer Portal blog.
Reflexis is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Reflexis blog for more retail, hospitality and banking-related insights.
Fetch Robotics is Now Part of Zebra Technologies
Visit the Fetch blog for robotics-related insights.
Looking for more expert insights?
Visit the Zebra Story Hub for more interviews, news, and industry trend analysis.