Motorola Solutions New WiNG 5 Wireless LAN Portfolio Offer Customers More Choice and Flexibility at Less
This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
New 802.11 architecture a simple and cost-effective route to increased performance, network agility and user satisfaction.
Powerful NOC controller and high performance 802.11n access points help enterprise and government IT support rapid growth of wireless devices and multimedia applications in their organizations
ASIA PACIFIC – May 18, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today announced WiNG 5 WLAN, the next generation architecture along with an expanded portfolio with single-, dual- and tri-radio 802.11n access points (APs) and a powerful Integrated Services Controller designed to help distributed organizations effectively manage thousands of APs from a network operations center (NOC) for a continental or global deployment. The new WiNG 5 WLAN distributes intelligence and network services to the edge of the network to eliminate choke points faced by traditional hub-and-spoke architectures, This helps IT departments provide a better quality of experience for mobile voice, video and data services, gain the flexibility required to meet evolving infrastructure needs and deliver a lower total cost of ownership across the lifetime of their mobility investment.
Ideally suited for retailers, government agencies, hospital campuses, school districts and enterprises operating multiple facilities across wide geographies, these WiNG 5 solutions offer a cost-effective means of supporting the most demanding wireless applications and large numbers of wireless devices. The result is a WLAN infrastructure that delivers a consistently better user experience regardless of location or application; one that network administrators can easily deploy, manage, troubleshoot and expand as new mobile services are added.
- Motorola’s WiNG 5 WLAN offers a simpler, more cost-effective way to support business-critical voice, video and data applications by enabling access points (AP) to locally enforce security policies, provide quality of service (QoS) and mobility, and intelligently forward traffic directly along optimal paths to avoid controller bottlenecks.
- It boosts the capacity and resilience of 802.11n networks through intelligent traffic forwarding, SMART RF for application-aware self-healing and more resilient network services.
- Customers will benefit from an agile solution, with a flexible architecture that allows a mix of virtual, local site or remote NOC wireless controller deployments in a single distributed network that can scale to thousands of access points with central policy management. WiNG 5 offers a wide choice of 802.11n APs and controllers and a simple, zero-configuration installation that does not require VLAN re-architecting of the wired network.
- Motorola WiNG 5 WLAN solutions help make deploying the latest mobile applications affordable to more organizations by requiring less wireless controllers, featuring APs that cover more area and have built-in sensors for a Wireless Intrusion Protection System (WIPS) or network assurance, and by reducing operating costs through the integrated AirDefense Solutions for network management, security and network assurance.
- NX 9000 Integrated Services Controller helps large distributed organizations ensure consistent configuration, management and troubleshooting of their entire WLAN from a single location or via their private cloud. This powerful NOC controller can support up to 10,000 Motorola WiNG 5 APs and manage controller-less deployments at remote sites, helping reduce the complexity and cost throughout the lifetime of the network.
- New 802.11n single-, dual- and tri-radio APs help budget-conscious IT managers deploy the optimal WLAN infrastructure based on user and cost profiles at various locations.
The single-radio, dependent AP 621 offers customers the power of WiNG
5 intelligence at an attractive price point. When deployed with a
wireless controller, this band-unlocked AP offers users 802.11n speeds
along with direct forwarding, security, quality of service (QoS) and
advanced spectrum analysis.
o The versatile single-radio, independent AP 6521 combines the QoS, security and performance benefits of the WiNG 5 architecture with a design that helps customers lower the cost of deploying and operating a secure, reliable 802.11n WLAN. It enables controller-less operations at small to medium sites by serving as a virtual controller and coordinating the operation of up to 24 neighboring APs for mobility and QoS services.
o The new AP 6532 is a performance-focused 802.11n independent AP that provides customers with higher throughput and dual-radio performance, while leveraging WiNG 5’s intelligence at the edge to serve as a virtual controller. This versatile AP leverages Motorola’s hallmark 802.11n band-unlocked radios, allowing IT to use its second radio to provide WiFi access or serve as a dedicated wireless sensor that scans both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands for network assurance and security.
o The high-capacity AP 7161 provides cost-effective and secure 802.11n outdoor coverage by offering dual- and tri-radio options as well as hardware- or software-based, dedicated wireless security sensing, making it an ideal solution for industrial parks, campuses, neighborhoods or depot facilities. Its IP 67 NEMA 4 waterproof enclosure ensures reliable performance in demanding weather conditions, while WiNG 5 intelligence at the edge enables virtual controller functionality and helps IT deliver a consistent user experience and access to applications in all corners of the organization.
- Customers in APAC can purchase the NX 9000 Integrated Services Controller and AP6532 through Motorola Solutions sales and our wide network of partners in the PartnerEmpowerTM Channel Program from June 2011 onwards. Access Points AP621, AP 6521 and AP7161 are expected to be available in APAC in the third quarter of 2011.
- The new WiNG 5 solutions portfolio was recently showcased in the 2011 Interop IT Conference & Expo in Las Vegas on May 9 – 12, 2011.
Benhur Mesfin, General Manager, Wireless Network Solutions, Motorola Solutions Asia Pacific
“The explosion of wireless services and applications introduced by retailers, schools, hospitals, government agencies and other multi-location enterprises is placing challenging demands on their networks, often causing degradation in the quality of services they deliver and anxiety among users unable to access them. By pushing intelligence to the edge of the network,Motorola Solutions is enabling IT more choice and flexibility in designing these networks while ensuring the highest levels of control, security, reliability and QoS.
The NX 9000 delivers unparalleled scalability and flexibility, while the new APs are attractively priced and deliver seamless indoor and outdoor WLAN services. The result is less worry, cost and congestion, and more trust, intelligence and performance,” Ben added
Craig Mathias, principal with the wireless and mobile advisory firm Farpoint Group
"The accelerating penetration of 802.11n networks and devices fueled by the demand for access to business-critical voice and video applications demand WLAN architectures that are robust, responsive and flexible. Motorola's new WiNG5 architecture provides an unprecedented degree of flexibility, especially in the critical control plane functions that ultimately determine the performance, reliability and security of enterprise-class wireless LANs today."
Website: WiNG 5 WLAN
Video: Is your network ready for the increase in demand?
Whitepaper: Distributed Intelligence: The Future of Wireless Networking Architecture
Portal: The Pulse: Wireless Networking
Blog: Wireless Insights
Motorola Solutions delivers seamless connectivity that puts real-time information in the hands of users, which gives customers the agility they need to grow their business or better serve and protect the public. Working seamlessly together with our world-class devices, our wireless network solutions include indoor wireless LAN, outdoor wireless mesh, point-to-multipoint, point-to-point networks and voice-over-WLAN solutions. Combined with powerful software tools for wireless network design, best-of-breed security, management and troubleshooting, Motorola Solutions delivers trusted networking and access anywhere to organizations across the globe.