Motorola Solutions Offers Industry’s First Framework for Developing HTML5 Applications on Windows Embedded Handheld™ and Windows CE™ Devices
This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
Availability of Motorola RhoElements brings modern web-based application development tools to the industry’s leader in industrial mobile computing
Singapore – Oct. 11, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication products, software and services for enterprise and government customers, today announced the availability of Motorola RhoElements, a state-of-the-art web-based application framework. It is designed to allow businesses to quickly and cost-effectively develop and deploy web-based applications on existing Motorola Windows Embedded Handheld (formerly known as Windows Mobile) and Windows Embedded Compact (Win-CE) mobile computers as well as Motorola’s recently announced ET1 Android-based enterprise tablet.
Motorola RhoElements is the first of several product releases targeted at developers within Motorola’s customer base and Channel ecosystem. Leveraging Motorola’s widely deployed PocketBrowser product, a framework for web-based line-of-business applications, RhoElements provides an important new way to develop applications on existing Windows-based industrial mobile computers and offers a bridge for seamless application support on future mobile computing devices and operating systems.
Motorola also announced that it acquired Rhomobile on July 29, 2011. Motorola expects to announce additional cross-platform application development tools, enterprise integration components and cloud-based services for channel partners and customers leveraging Rhomobile’s product suite in the coming months.
RHOELEMENTS KEY FACTS
- RhoElements allows enterprise customers and Channel partners to leverage on the productivity of web-based applications, cutting down the costs for application development, management and support.
- RhoElements allows developers to offer enterprise users applications with a consumer-style look and feel with consistency across device type, screen size and operating system.
- With support for HTML5 features such as application caching and web storage, developers can optimize network utilization and enable continuous operation when users temporarily lose connectivity.
- RhoElements exposes web developers to device-level application programming interfaces (APIs) so that they may take advantage of the enterprise-rich features found in Motorola enterprise mobile computers.
- The first version of RhoElements will provide support for the Motorola enterprise tablet (ET1) running the Android™ operating system and Motorola mobile devices running Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5, Windows Embedded CE 5 and 6 and Windows Embedded Compact 7
- RhoElements 1.0 is available immediately for download.
Phey Teck Moh, Corporate Vice President, Motorola Solutions Asia Pacific
“Motorola Solutions has designed the RhoElements application development platform in response to the proliferation of multiple devices and multiple operating systems in enterprises. Today, the enterprise decision maker is faced with additional costs to rewrite applications for different operating systems or to line up additional resources for new application development or to port existing ones on to new operating systems. With the RhoElements platform, CIOs can break free from this significant cost every time a new device or a new Operating System is adopted in the enterprise and instead, invest resources in enhancements to the existing applications. Simply put, RhoElements is one application framework for multiple form factors and operating systems, which directly translates to savings.”
Matthew Candy, General Manager – Sales, Barcode Dynamics
“We are very excited about the benefits and cost saving we can achieve using RhoElements in our development of mobile workforce solutions. Many of our applications are targeted at multi-faceted vertical businesses that may require a variety of Motorola devices for different users. RhoElements helps us immeasurably in saving development costs and time in the marketing of new hardware products for our current solutions.
With RhoElements, we have the ability to develop in a customized environment tailor-made for the mobile device world and we are able to be much more creative and flexible in how we develop our solutions. The opportunity to bring to life in our solutions the full feature of each device, such as barcode scanning, magnetic stripe reading, and biometrics, allows us to present richer content thereby making our solutions more compelling. This is a distinct competitive advantage for our company and we consider RhoElements an intrinsic part of our development environment into the future.
Furthermore, we are able to leverage RhoElements in the sales process as a distinct competitive advantage by demonstrating to our customers how using RhoElements we can protect their investment in applications as hardware offerings and platforms change. This is a compelling story around total cost of ownership of our solutions.”
Website: Motorola Solutions Mobile Computers
Portal: Motorola Solutions Next Generation Enterprise Mobility