This press release was issued by Motorola Solutions Enterprise business prior to its acquisition by Zebra Technologies on Oct. 27, 2014.
London, 27 May, 2014 - Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) today announces that Grass Roots, the world’s leading provider of employee and engagement services, is using RhoMobile Suite to easily and cost-efficiently create mobile scanning applications to more effectively manage the movement of delegates and interact better with them at conferences.
Grass Roots manages employee and customer engagement conferences for some of the world’s biggest brands. Its Meetings and Events division facilitates the smooth running of conferences and develops a range of mobile applications. The applications are used to help register people on entry to events and provide conference customers with new ways to interact with their delegates. Key applications include an attendance scanner to scan delegates’ badges and collect real-time data on who is at the event, access control scanning to ensure only authorised people gain access to sessions, and a lead retrieval tool. The lead retrieval tool is a highly valuable service for exhibitors. When delegates come to exhibitors’ stands, their badge is scanned using a Motorola MC40 rugged handheld computer and they can be asked a list of questions stored on the device. The data is weighted against a range of variables (e.g. the length of time spent on the stand) and helps exhibitors accurately qualify sales leads.
Grass Roots uses RhoStudio to develop, debug and test its applications. And it’s planning to use RhoHub to easily store, retrieve and amend applications and upload changes to mobile devices. Grass Roots cites the applications it created for a recent conference on Continuing Professional Development to underline the value of RhoMobile Suite. Its IT team developed a scanning application for MC40 mobile computers to validate that delegates had attended sessions and how long they were there. The data was used to issue training certificates. Using an element of pre-created code, the application took just two days to develop.
RhoMobile Suite enables the efficient development of mobile applications that are OS agnostic and able to support enterprise and consumer-class operating systems to more easily write, integrate, deploy and manage applications that work across platforms. In addition to RhoStudio and RhoHub, RhoMobile Suite includes Rhodes, an open source Ruby-based framework to rapidly develop native applications; RhoGallery, an enterprise application store to easily store and distribute applications to mobile devices; RhoElements to create flexible applications that look and feel the same on every device; and RhoConnect, a simple way to connect mobile applications to business data.
- Grass Roots uses RhoMobile Suite to more efficiently develop scanning applications for the MC40 rugged handheld computers that it uses at conferences and events.
- The applications are used to register delegates when they arrive, checking people are allowed to enter into sessions, and confirming delegates’ IDs before asking their opinions for surveys.
- RhoStudio enables Grass Roots to develop applications more quickly; the pre-developed scanning module especially saves time.
- Grass Roots selected RhoMobile as it provides a simple and cost-efficient way to develop mobile applications.
- In the future, Grass Roots plans to use RhoHub to store its applications code to easily refine existing and create new applications by reusing past development efforts.
- RhoMobile Suite provides a comprehensive set of development tools to write an application once and publish it on a device regardless of device brand, screen size or major operating system.
Jamie Lamport, senior developer, Grass Roots
Adam Blum, global product manager, Motorola Solutions
“We created RhoMobile Suite to help IT teams deliver compelling mobile applications to their growing user bases. The Grass Roots team is showing how RhoMobile development suite can create some innovative scanning applications to improve the services they provide to their conference customers. And by storing their applications in RhoHub, they will continue to drive efficiencies every time they refine an existing or create a new application.”
Website: Motorola Solutions
Website: RhoMobile Suite
Website: Motorola Mobile Computing Portfolio
Facebook: Motorola Solutions
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2014 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.