LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. – Jan. 21, 2015 – In response to demand from riders, the New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and Transit Wireless are utilizing Zebra Technologies Corporation's (NASDAQ: ZBRA) wireless local area network (WLAN) technology to deliver Wi-Fi connectivity service to one of the largest subway systems in the world.
Transit Wireless is deploying a massive WLAN system in New York City’s underground subway stations. The Wi-Fi service was established using Zebra’s AP 7161 outdoor rugged access point to provide exceptional performance, durability, features and functionality. Zebra’s NX 9500 controller was also deployed, allowing Transit Wireless to control all AP 7161s from a single remote point of control, while its advanced WiNG 5 operating system provides the access points with the intelligence required to achieve superior quality of service, security and management simplicity.
- On Oct. 16, 2014, New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced the MTA and Transit Wireless extended underground cellular wireless and Wi-Fi - now connecting a total 47 million riders monthly. Work has been completed on 76 of the 279 total underground stations.
- The Zebra AP 7161 is purpose-built for the most challenging environments and able to easily handle the environmental demands of subway platforms and underground tunnels. Its industrial-rated components enable it to endure extreme temperatures — from -40º F to 158º F, in addition to a 150 mph wind rating.
- The unique feature set of the AP 7161, including the advanced WiNG 5 operating system, easily supports the most demanding applications, such as voice and a real-time IP-based video surveillance system. The powerful remote centralized monitoring, management and troubleshooting enables the entire system to be controlled from a data center.
- The NX 9500 allows Transit Wireless to control, monitor and troubleshoot over 10,000 access points from a single pane of glass to heavily automate management of the system.
- Zebra acquired Motorola Solutions’ Enterprise business in October 2014.
Bill Bayne, CEO of Transit Wireless
“Transit Wireless has implemented a high-quality, highly resilient network that enables secure private networks and public Wi-Fi. Our network provides enhanced connectivity for public safety including New York City Emergency Services and Transit personnel as well as businesses and all the major U.S. carriers.”
Imran Akbar, vice president and general manager, Enterprise Networks & Communications, Zebra Technologies
“In working with our partners, Zebra Technologies is able to provide high-quality Wi-Fi service to millions of passengers and establish a public safety initiative to keep riders informed and safe. Our WLAN business continues to produce innovative solutions that are tailor-made to meet the current and future demands of the mobile worker.”
Download the full PDF.
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Zebra tracking and visibility solutions transform the physical to digital, creating the data streams enterprises need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses, and empower their mobile workforces. For more information, visit www.zebra.com/possibilities.
Industry Analyst Relations Contact:
Zebra Technologies, Zebra and the Zebra logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Zebra Technologies Corporation and are used under license. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. ©2015 Zebra Technologies Corporation. All rights reserved.