NEW YORK, NY – Dec. 15, 2015 – Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in solutions and services that provides real-time visibility into organizations’ assets, people and transactions, and the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) today announced the winners of their third annual National Retail Federation (NRF) booth window design competition. FIT students showcased their design skills throughout the competition, and the winners, who were awarded scholarships, will receive exposure by having their designs featured at the 2016 National Retail Federation’s BIG Show. Zebra’s NRF 2016 booth will highlight the five key areas that retailers care about most – Big Data, Brand Experience, Loyalty, Store Mobility and Delivery and Fulfillment.
- 21 students from the third semester Associates Program class in Studio Design at FIT, led by Associate Professor Mary Constantini, participated in the design competition. Zebra plans to display the winning “store windows” in its booth at NRF 2016 being held on Jan. 17-20, 2016, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
- Working in teams, students were challenged to develop retail store-like window displays that reflect this year’s theme of “One Store, One Experience” to highlight how Zebra’s products provide retailers with a full range of solutions from the warehouse to the store floor. The winning designs are:
- “Tetris” uses the classic arcade game to illustrate the action of creating the mobility experience by completing the words “store” and “experience” while displaying actual products from Zebra, which are placed in the “hold” and “next” boxes. This was designed by Jackline Raggi and YooJung Lee.
- “Venn Diagram” illustrates Zebra’s seamless impact on the retail environment through the use of a super-sized venn diagram that depicts each of Zebra’s products and services’ unique characteristics as well as how they work together. This was designed by Aubrie Kish and Corinne Spano.
- “Where’s Waldo” takes inspiration from the children’s book by displaying an image of organized merchandise, in contrast to the traditional cluttered illustrations, with a Zebra barcode scanner making the selected product visible. This was designed by Kendal Steensen and Alice Cole.
- Zebra marketing professionals shared their experiences in business-to-business marketing and served as consultants to the students.
- The students’ creations will be seen by approximately 33,000 retail industry professionals attending NRF 2016.
Craig Berger, chair of the Visual Presentation and Exhibition Program (VPED), FIT
“Our work with Zebra Technologies over the last few years has resulted in one of the most innovative educational opportunities in the country. Rarely are students able to participate in a complete analysis, concept, design, and implementation process at such a young age. Seeing how a complete design process works provides our students with the confidence they need to work on even more advanced projects in the future.”
Rob Armstrong, senior director of Americas Marketing, Zebra Technologies
“Zebra Technologies is proud of the relationship that has been fostered with the Fashion Institute of Technology over the past several years. Our work together provides students with valuable real-world experience and significant exposure for their budding careers. We continue to be inspired by the creative spirit they inject each year into the design of our booth windows at NRF. We thank FIT for their support of this valuable project and want to congratulate this year’s winners and all of the students who participated in the competition.”
Learn more about FIT VPED: FIT VPED BFA Program
Learn more about Zebra: Zebra Technologies
Learn more about Zebra Retail: Zebra Technologies Retail Solutions
Follow Zebra on Facebook: Zebra Technologies
Follow Zebra on Twitter: @ZebraTechnology
Download the PDF
FIT is a State University of New York (SUNY) college of art, design, business, and technology that has been at the crossroads of commerce and creativity for 70 years. With programs that blend hands-on practice, a strong grounding in theory, and a broad-based liberal arts foundation, FIT offers career education in nearly 50 areas, and grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees. FIT provides students with a complete college experience at an affordable cost, a vibrant campus life in New York City, and industry-relevant preparation for rewarding careers. Visit www.fitnyc.edu for more information.
The Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design BFA program (VPED) is a unique educational experience that combines conceptual development with practical fabrication experience. VPED comprises retail development, including the development of complete stores, fixtures, and window and merchandise displays; exhibition design, including museums, trade shows, zoos, theme parks, and visitor centers; and temporary installations, such as large scale events, pop-up stores, holiday spectacles, photo shoots, and stage sets.
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Zebra tracking and visibility solutions transform the physical to digital, creating the data streams enterprises need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses, and empower their mobile workforces. For more information, visit www.zebra.com.
Fashion Institute of Technology
Industry Analyst Contact:
Zebra Technologies, Zebra and the Zebra logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Zebra Technologies Corporation and are used under license. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. ©2015 Zebra Technologies Corporation. All rights reserved.