LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. – Sept. 28, 2015 – Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in solutions and services that provide real-time visibility into organizations’ assets, people and transactions, released the results of a research study that details the mobility plans of companies with North America field and fleet operations as they seek ways to operate more intelligently and responsively.
Zebra’s 2015 Field Operations Vision Study found that 70 percent of field and fleet management personnel expect budget increases for mobility over the next five years as they focus on the strategic priorities of revenue generation, operational efficiency and reducing operating costs.
- The most valued attributes for mobility were led by the need for increased profitability (54 percent) and increased customer service and loyalty (51 percent).
- More than half of those polled (56 percent) have automation plans in progress and will prioritize customer relationship management (CRM), knowledge management and business intelligence to improve revenue growth and customer management.
- Only 28 percent of respondents accept mobile payment in the field today but 45 percent expect to support it by 2020.
Operational Efficiency and Cost Reduction
- More than 60 percent of respondents have undergone a mobile operations process re-engineering effort within the past year with 36 percent aiming to improve efficiency and productivity.
- The greatest growth is expected in creating automation capabilities that help drive awareness for up-sell and cross-sell opportunities and accessing interactive repair procedures and videos for resolution information.
- The top three challenges facing field service management (FSM) businesses today - margin pressures, increasing competition and finding and retaining talent - are expected to remain the same in 2020.
Key Challenges and Opportunities
- Survey respondents believe wearable technology (41 percent), big data/analytics (31 percent), and the Internet of Things (IoT) (28 percent) will offer the best return on investment (ROI) over the next five years.
- Respondents reported being influenced by traceability demands for consumers, as well as being overwhelmed by data, the impact of transportation costs, and need to monitor social media chatter for product selection.
Rick Steinbach, IT Applications Development Manager, G&K Services
“G&K Services has been in the uniform and facility services business for more than 100 years, and mobile solutions have been a major part of that service for the last ten years. We are working with Zebra Technologies to deliver the third-generation mobile device, the TC75, setting the framework for differentiating solutions and allowing our field team to deliver superior service and meet the commitment to our Customer Promise.”
Mark Kroh, vice president and general manager, North America Sales, Zebra Technologies
“Zebra’s Field Operations Vision Study revealed that field and fleet operations are becoming more proactive, customer-centric and business-driven through the increased investment in mobile technologies. Decision makers believe the future success of this profession lies within improved mobility tools. As a result, they are empowering their field and fleet operators to maximize their role as the first – and sometimes only – customer contact in order to improve profitability and customer loyalty as well as reduce costs.”
Read the research report: 2015 Field Operations Study
Learn more about Zebra: Zebra Technologies
Follow Zebra on Facebook: Zebra Technologies
Follow Zebra on Twitter: @ZebraTechnology
Download the full PDF
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Zebra tracking and visibility solutions transform the physical to digital, creating the data streams enterprises need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses, and empower their mobile workforces. For more information, visit www.zebra.com.
Industry Analyst Contact:
Zebra Technologies, Zebra and the Zebra logo are trademarks or registered trademarkas of Zebra Technologies Corporation and are used under license. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. ©2015 Zebra Technologies Corporation. All rights reserved.